Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New here, hi, help with vaginal atrophy  (Read 1805 times)

Knittynora

New here, hi, help with vaginal atrophy
« on: August 17, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »

Hi, happy to have found this forum.
I was diagnosed with VA about 18 months ago.
I gave in and accepted the docs offer of estriol cream as being adopted and no history, I was sceptical about hrt.
The doc also gave me hydromol. I have flare ups occasionally that last for weeks. I was wondering what your thoughts are on
Vagisil prohydrate for external areas as the hydromal just isn't easing the discomfort at the mo.
Any advice appreciated, thanks

Joaniepat

Re: New here, hi, help with vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »

Hi and welcome. How often are you using the estriol cream? Do you put some on the labia as well, or just using it internally?
Is this Ovestin or the weaker generic version?
JP x

Knittynora

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »

Hi, hmm not sure, it's the purple/lilac box, I used it for 2 or 3 weeks then twice weekly, only used internally as I didn't know it could be used externally. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »

It takes time to ease vaginal atrophy symptoms so treatment needs to be regular.  I use 'ovestin' every 3rd and 5th/6th night, internally as well as squeezing a little to rub on the labial area. 

It isn't likely to cause cancer.  Also, Quality of Life is important.  I had breast treatment in the 1990s and never consider if any medication will be likely to trigger symptoms, once the vaginal tissues are plumped up it was more comfortable.

I couldn't tell you which colour box my prep is in  ::)

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 03:12:23 PM »

Hi, hmm not sure, it's the purple/lilac box, I used it for 2 or 3 weeks then twice weekly, only used internally as I didn't know it could be used externally. Thanks
Ovestin then. So the standard routine would be a loading dose of every night for 2 -3 weeks, then twice a week thereafter. However, you could try three times a week, and you can also apply a little to the labia as well. VA can take quite a long time to get under control, but 18 months seems like quite a while. Treatment does need to be done religiously, though! Sometimes people find adding in systemic treatment helps, but that's up to you of course. There is a good pivate Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group you can join, and there are also good resources on Louise Newson's website My Menopause Doctor. Perhaps a different product might suit you better than Ovestin.
JP x

Knittynora

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 03:20:00 PM »

Thanks Joanipat, that's good to know that it can be used outside  you are right on the quality of life, I've felt really down last 2 weeks because of the below upset. X

Knittynora

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 03:23:27 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I think I get complacent when everything is rosy, so to speak. I did however try a blob of vagisan Pro earlier and it does seem to have soothed a bit. X