Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hi, anxiety  (Read 2237 times)

Mum of 2

Hi, anxiety
« on: August 10, 2021, 10:28:38 AM »

Hi, I’m 51
I wake up with anxiety and it controls my day . I’m scared to go to sleep because I know it will just start again tomorrow. I can’t go out on my own and even when I’m with my husband I’m scared.
I am n HRT but feel this will be it for the rest of my life.
Any tips ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi, anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »

How long have you been on HRT?

When was your last period, R they waxing and waning? 

The hormone cortisol - the waking hormone - would disturb me in the early hours and I would be terrified until mid-morning.  My GP prescribed Propranolol to stop the early morning surges which worked really well. 

This too will pass.  I never thought that I would leave the house in the 1990s - but I'm out and about these days.

Mum of 2

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »

Hi,
My last period was August 2019. I have been on HRT about 2 months.
I was on flouxatine but after 20 years ( I think the doctor forgot I was on it ) I decided I had had enough. I will ask about the propranolol next time I talk to the doctor m which could be a long time, you have to wait weeks for even a phone call.
Thank you for replying.

Mum of 2

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 04:04:19 PM »

Thank you to the lady that PM me ( I can’t work out how to reply). I will ask about your advise.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »

U can ask for a 'phone call, explain that you are very ill with anxiety - lay it on thickly!  Do U live in a busy area?  Matt Hancock told us that 'the NHS is open for business' 12 months ago! 

Don't be fobbed off.  HRT can ease anxiety too .  Did your AD help symptoms?

Mum of 2

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 08:33:21 PM »

After 20 years of being on them, I don’t really think so. I was getting panic attacks and anxiety even when I was on them.  When things are at there worst I think I would be better off not taking anything and just see what happens ( surly it can’t get any worse ).

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 08:50:09 PM »

How do U intend to react to the panic attacks?  When it hits me, I am floored.  Although I know it's the fight/flight response, I am overwhelmed.

I have used Bachs rescue remedy with success
A brown paper bag to blow into helps.  apparently.

Relaxation therapy which needs practice  ::)
Brisk walking

Mum of 2

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 10:19:11 PM »

At the moment I’m rocking, crying . If I had my way I would just sit in a dark room until I die but my husband is great and puts up with a lot of crying and shouting and then says “ let’s take the dog for a walk “. I really don’t think I would be here if it wasn’t for him and my sons.  That is part of the reason I’m on here, I have resurched the internet and can’t find anyone that understands. Most people think I’m just worried about going out because of covid. That seams to be the answer to everything at the moment.

VictoryV

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 10:50:25 PM »

Welcome Mum of 2.
I’m new here too. I had to fight with the GP receptionist to get a telephone appointment after trying for 3 weeks. I told her I was suicidal and then later admitted to the GP that I wasn’t really. It works.
I don’t know anything about Prozac but have you just quit it or did you taper off it? I’m asking because you may have Rebound Anxiety if the Prozac was quit quickly.
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Victoria.x

Mum of 2

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »

Yes I tapered off. That has crossed my mind, just feel lost at the moment. Hoping that the HRT will start taking effect soon.
Not had any female family to talk to so nice to talk to people that don’t think I’m mad.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 08:53:32 AM »

If U are suffering anxiety the GP should prescribe an anti-anxiety medication.  Prozac made me  :cuss:  Some ADs may help anxiety but a dedicated researched drug should be the 1st suggestion.

Or a betablocka to ease surges.  Propranolol really helped me.

EllaAurora

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 02:53:50 PM »

Hi Mum of 2,

Welcome to the forum and as you can see, there are so many of us suffering from anxiety/panic so you're certainly not alone!
I agree with ladies who're already responded, you should see a doctor asap to get some help for the anxiety before it gets worse. These things have a tendency to become a vicious circle -the more you focus on anxiety, the more you feel it and the more it controls your life. It's so overwhelming and debilitating  :o

Couple of additional thoughts: your HRT, you said you've been on it for 2 months. Do you feel any help yet? Could you get a referral to menopause clinic to reassess the HRT regime unless improvement within a few weeks? You could try as well valerian root and other herbs that may help with anxiety, and melatonin and magnesium for sleep.

I'm currently trying out restorative yoga -to help calm down the autonomous nervous system. Its only my second day, so can't really say if it helps, but perhaps something to explore? At least it can't hurt, right.

And finally, what I noticed has helped me is to be very open about the ongoing struggle. I've told all my friends and family what's going on, so that I don't have to use any energy on hiding this and I've felt it somehow helps to call it out immediately when feeling panicky.

Take good care of yourself and let us know how you get on! xxx

VictoryV

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 06:30:46 AM »

Hi Mum of 2,
Until menopause symptoms arrived recently I only got bouts of stress related anxiety around work pressure. I’m on day 7 of HRT and so far so good, the anxiety has vastly improved.
Work anxiety was crippling until I forced myself to do ten mins of exercise, even if all I could do was jog on the spot in the work loo. It helped. At home I use a hula hoop indoors or out or do the plank in front of the TV. A run is the best but I didn’t always want to leave the house.
I thought I’d type suggestions that might help until you can get to see your GP.

Good luck.
Victoria.x

Mum of 2

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 09:40:29 AM »

Thank you everyone for your replies 

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »

Even though I know what causes my anxiety surges, it doesn't help when they hit. 

I did have relaxation tapes: any1 remember those  ::) : finding time to listen was my problem.  However, I would sit down in the afternoon with  :catscratch: on lap, we would sleep. The idea was to practice relaxation techniques ........ 2 use when anxiety occurred.

It's the surge of nausea usually because my body is hungry, that starts it 4 me  :-\
Pages: [1] 2