Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New here.....HRT - Wrong dosage prescribed  (Read 1359 times)

Lawgirl

• First Flush
New here.....HRT - Wrong dosage prescribed
« on: July 20, 2021, 11:53:30 AM »

Hi.  My name is Amanda, 51yrs old & in perimenopause.  I have a lot of symptoms, hot flushes, night sweats, very low tolerance of people, especially stupid ones, tinnitus, feeling, of, being off balance, itchy skin, as though I have insects crawling on me, burning tongue, the list goes on.  So after doing a lot of research, I decided to try HRT.  I made an appointment with my nurse, as both doctors at my surgery are, unfortunately useless.  On chatting to the nurse, it was decided that, it would be worth giving HRT a go.  After nurse consulated with the doctor, I was prescribed Elleste Duet 2mg, 1 three times a day.  So after reading all of the instructions included, I began my HRT journey.  Well so far it has been a bumpy ride...😄  I just wanted to double check, that these tablets had been put on repeat, so as I had to call into chemist, I thought I would double check.  Well you can imagine my shock when, chemist said......  oh...its normally one tablet a day...you better check with your surgery.  I got home rang surgery & spoke to nurse, she seemed as confused as the rest of us!!  It turns out, that, I have taken a 3month supply in a month..😒  As nobody seemed to know what they were doing or what I should even do, I decided to throw away the last of the grey tablets & would wait for another script to be sent to chemist & I would start again.  It will be a week tomorrow, that I spoke to the nurse & stopped taking tablets.  I am still waiting for new script to be put through.  Two days after stopping, I noticed that everyone & everything, was really getting to me, then following day I started my period.  So at the moment, I am back to square one & if I'm honest, im not really sure what to do next.  I really feel I need some diazepam, for the days when I am really stressed & could have  a go at anyone, for no reason....really don't like that feeling. Also difficult to trust, doctor now!! 

Taz2

Re: New here.....HRT - Wrong dosage prescribed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

Hi Amanda - welcome to the forum.

This is an appalling lack of care by your GP and also by the pharmacist who should have picked up on the wrong prescribing. What did the instructions on the pharmacy label say? You must have been really confused as the instructions in the leaflet are totally different to what you were told. Two weeks of the white pills (I think they are white?) which are the oestrogen ones followed by two weeks of the grey pills (progesterone). When you begin the new pack of white pills you should experience a bleed as it is the withdrawal of the progesterone (grey pills) which causes the bleed to start.

It's understandable you feel really fed up and that you have also lost trust in your doctor but I would try again if you have been prescribed a new pack? Follow the instructions in the leaflet and see how you feel when you are not having three times the amount of hormone you should have had! You may find this period/bleed is heavier than usual as the oestrogen may have caused you womb lining to build up. Sometimes the progesterone can make you feel very PMT-ish but if this happens then you can change to a different progesterone which may be much better. You do have to try each HRT for three months before you can tell if it is right for you.

You will find lots of help and support on here. Any chance of changing your GP??

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Lawgirl

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 01:03:23 PM »

The pharmacy label stated, 1 tablet 3 times daily.  Yes I was very confused.  I have to take orange tablets first & then go onto grey ones.  I even sent my mum a pic of the tablet box, to make sure I was reading the label correctly.  The annoying thing is, nobody has said....sorry my mistake.  Not sure if the pharmacist read script wrong, but as they are normally printed, I would have thought it was easy to read??  Thank you for your reply.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 03:31:16 PM »

Also the pharmacy is at fault as they are there to check the product and READ what has been prescribed!  That's appalling lack of care from medics who should know better.

Like they have never filled a script 4 a GP B4?   Words should be said.  If this came to a Court Case and quite frankly, it should be: both would be in front of the Judge.  What the hell are they doing, no one is seeing face2face patients ............ at least your hormones have been replaced?

Put the name of the product into the search box on the forum, make notes ;-).  Tell us more about you: age, hobbies, work history, family ......... we talk about everything here.