Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can anyone advise regarding hysterectomy?  (Read 1325 times)

SarahLou68

Can anyone advise regarding hysterectomy?
« on: July 12, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »

Hi
I have just had a telephone appointment with a gynae consultant and she has told me that I need to have an hysterectomy.  I am currently unable to live anything like a normal life because of the more or less continual heavy bleeding and pain.  She has recommended that I also have both ovaries removed because of the pain which will obviously send me straight into menopause.  Can anyone let me know what experiences (good or bad) that they have had with this?
She said potentially able to do op on 24th August so I am panicking a little after a quick google search - I didn't realise the recovery could take so long.....
I think I am also feeling a bit odd at the thought of losing that bit of me regardless of how much trouble it has caused! :'(

thanks

sheila99

Re: Can anyone advise regarding hysterectomy?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »

Sorry to hear it. The usual advice is to keep your ovaries unless there's a good reason to remove them. Has she come up with a medical reason for removal?

SarahLou68

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 12:52:53 PM »

She just said that it will be my ovaries that are causing the pain and it would be better to remove them in one operation rather than having to go back to her because the pain hasn't stopped.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 01:00:30 PM »

If your pain is ovarian then I would have thought that you would have ovaries removed and HRT started to replace the missing oestrogen? It's a much smaller operation. Have you had all of the relevant scans to check for fibroids or polyps? It's seems very drastic to remove the womb if it's the ovaries which are causing the problem.  :-\

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 02:02:01 PM »

I agree with Taz,why a full hysterectomy if it's the ovaries?

SarahLou68

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 03:21:46 PM »

it's not just my ovaries, I have been suffering with extremely heavy bleeding, clots and pain for years which has been getting worse.  I struggle to leave the house at times.  I have had all sorts of tests, scans, biopsies etc.  I just told my Doctor and consultant that I simply can not deal with it any longer. 
I just wondered how anyone else has got on after hysterectomy.

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »

Hi there, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with both ovaries removed too on 15 June. So nearly 4 weeks ago. I'm 55, already on HRT and took the decision to have ovaries out too. I had a large fibroid hence the need for abdominal rather than vaginal. I think people recover more quickly if not abdominal surgery so that's something to consider. The recovery is a long haul no doubt about it, and it can be frustrating at times as it seems so slow. But I think most people that have it done are glad to have done so and often wish they had had it done sooner.

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 03:44:56 PM »

I had a vaginal hysterectomy,which means recovery time is much quicker,I was so happy to have mine done,as I too had huge clots and lots of flooding,was the best thing I had done.

SarahLou68

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 04:25:05 PM »

Thank you ladies, very reassuring.  Obviously will be having a long discussion with the consultant, she's sending me information through so that I can make an informed decision.
I can't wait to not be scared every time I go out.

racjen

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 05:50:46 PM »

My case is a bit different because I didn't have my ovaries removed, I had chemotherapy for breast cancer, which basically nobbled my ovaries completely and sent me into very sudden menopause. For me that was really really difficult - my main symptom was major mental health problems - crippling anxiety and depression leading to two overdoses and hospitalisation in a psychiatric unit. I've ended up on both HRT (Evorel 125 and Provera 10mg days 14 to 28) and psychiatric drugs (Quetiapine and Duloxetine) because neither worked on their own, but now that we've found the right combination I feel really good.

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 07:58:11 PM »

I was ike that Sarah,flooding could happen literally at a time and after the op,it was like having a new life .
Glad you're feeling better racjen  :)