Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Does anyone use Vagifem over the recommended 'maintenance' dose of 2x week?  (Read 1701 times)

Iris67

Hi everyone. I'm still getting used to my vagifem/pelvic floor regime for prolapse and urinary symptoms. All seemed to be improving after the first 6 weeks or so but symptoms have returned (both issues) and I wonder if Vagifem should be used every day for some of us? The 2x weekly will be an average cost/benefit dose which has worked for the majority with the least cost to the NHS.

What are your experiences?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Yep.  Some ladies require it nightly, it's a very small amount of active ingredient.  Occasionally 1 might use two at the same time, 1 high up the other slightly inside the vagina.

There are also 'sylc' and 'yes' products which may be worth trying, put both into the search box 2 C what pops up?  I believe that one can source freebies initially ;-)

Joaniepat

Yes, I use Vagifem nightly. A lot of people use more than 2 a week. There used to be a 25 mcg version, but the manufacturer stopped producing it for commercial reasons, which means patients or health services have to buy more of the weaker version. Five Vagifem a week would give you the same dose of estradiol as the Estring vaginal delivery system.

JP x

Tinkerbell

I use it every night, a female GP at my practice said she was happy to prescribe 5 x a week as that is equivalent to old dose. She was cross when it was changed as she had so many ladies struggling on the lower dose.

Iris67

Oooh sneaky changing to the lower dose! Thanks for the info - extremely helpful

Postmeno3

I was prescribed 5 times a week continuously from the get-go at the menopause clinic.

Iris67

Yes 10mcg! I've just looked...so 2 doses of the last version = 50mcg. I get it now, makes perfect sense.

Julia Dizzy

I use it every other night now which seems to have helped, even though my prescription says twice weekly! Only you can tell how you feel and judge how much to use. x

Whatsupwiththis

5x a week here.

Peripurple

Yes everyday, couldn’t do anything less

Iris67

This is all so helpful - thanks  :)

Lyncola

I use both Vagifem and Ovestin internally. It’s really helps me, to use more often and both.
My routine is
Night 1- Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally
Night 2- Ovestin internally and externally
Night 3- Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally
Night 4- nothing
Then I repeat, it’s great with all my other menopausal problems not to have to think about a burning vagina  ;D

jackelburger

I was prescribed (via private gynaecologist) 5 x per week.   I did that initially for around 2 weeks and now use it 2-3 times per week as it seems to be enough.