Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan 200mg  (Read 2223 times)

alibeau

Utrogestan 200mg
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:22:04 PM »

Hi,

I take 200mg oral utrogestan for 12 nights out of 28. I think I have come to the conclusion that I feel better when I am on it than when I am off it!

GP said to take it for 14 nights, instructions say 12, Dr Currie said it should be 12 but 14 is fine.

Just out of interest how many nights do you take it and why?

Thanks!

Ali x

honeyblossom

Re: Utrogestan 200mg
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 10:32:41 PM »

I feel dreadful on it. I’m currently taking it for 7 nights
Have you considered taking it every night? Continuously?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:28:12 AM »

12 days is the standard dose. If you're on patches you take the conti patches for 14 days so I doubt it makes much difference. Are you close enough to meno you could take it continuously if you feel better on it? Most of us want to take as little as possible!

alibeau

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »

Hi Shelia99,

Thanks so much for your reply and to honeyblossom too.

Why do most take as little as possible? Because you don't feel good on it?

How bizarre that I feel better on it then!!!  ;D I'm still tracking my symptoms just to be sure but if I am right, my anxiety levels are next to non existent whllst I am on the Utrogestan which is beyond fabulous.

I have no idea what the possiblities/implications of taking it continuously are, I am 49 and started with peri syomtoms at 46....

Interesting stuff  ;)

Ali x

Wannabewell

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »

Alibeau I am starting Utrogestan 200mg days 12-26 tomorrow night, I’m planning to take it orally as I’m unsure if the pack I have can be used vaginally and it’s my first ever cycle of HRT.

You’re post has really helped me, I’m a bit wary of starting the progesterone part (I’m on Oestrogel too) as it doesn’t suit everyone, fingers crossed I’ll have an experience similar to you. I’ve been fine on the Oestrogel, my mood has been more stable.

alibeau

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »

Alibeau I am starting Utrogestan 200mg days 12-26 tomorrow night, I’m planning to take it orally as I’m unsure if the pack I have can be used vaginally and it’s my first ever cycle of HRT.

You’re post has really helped me, I’m a bit wary of starting the progesterone part (I’m on Oestrogel too) as it doesn’t suit everyone, fingers crossed I’ll have an experience similar to you. I’ve been fine on the Oestrogel, my mood has been more stable.

Fingers absolutely crossed for you! I have zero problems taking it orally....

Good luck.

Ali x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »

It's the same capsule for vaginal use.
I get fatigue on utro so I'd cut it out altogether if I could. It has a sedative effect for many people so perhaps that's why it helps your anxiety. My anxiety was due to insufficient oestrogen which took 3 months to go with no noticeable improvement in the first month. Are you still within the first 3 months or have you been on hrt for longer?

Wannabewell

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »

Thanks Alibeau and Sheila  :)
Fingers crossed.

alibeau

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 03:10:38 PM »

It's the same capsule for vaginal use.
I get fatigue on utro so I'd cut it out altogether if I could. It has a sedative effect for many people so perhaps that's why it helps your anxiety. My anxiety was due to insufficient oestrogen which took 3 months to go with no noticeable improvement in the first month. Are you still within the first 3 months or have you been on hrt for longer?

It's all so blooming tricky, finding a balance... and I feel at times I am just contradicting myself as my symptoms change...

I started in Feb on 2 pumps and utro (having been on Femoston 1/10 and then 2/10 for a couple of years). Increased to 3 pumps in March and felt signficantly more energised.... this has faded now...

I feel generally lethargic, not just on the utro part of my regime.  I tried to up my Oestrogel to 3 1/2 pumps this week and instantly had palpations again.  I used to say that the hot flushes were my worst symptom but that was before I suffered with anxiety and palpations.  For me now, given the circumstances of my daughters passing, I cannot bear palpations, to the point of finding them terrifying..... I guess if I had stuck with an increased dose of gel it may have helped eventually but I certainly could not go for days, weeks or months with palpations... ho hum!

So as for all of us, I guess it's about finding a balance of relieving the symptoms we can and trying to crack on with those that remain..

And there was me thinking that HRT was a magical fix all answer!  ;D ;)

Thanks Sheila99  :thankyou:

EllaAurora

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 03:59:05 PM »

Hi alibeau,

Interesting to read this, I'm the same as you. I feel better on the Utrogestan phase too. I think its probably because of better sleep (I find Utro working almost like a sleeping pill, except no side effects). I remember also that during the last years of my regular periods, when I must have been already deep in peri without realising it, I always felt the best during the second half of the cycle.

I'm taking currently 14 days and just now eagerly waiting for day 14 to come in this cycle, as the previous days have been tough with anxiety. I'll ask gynae next time if I could move to continuous scheme and take it every day.

By the way, I also felt that hot flushes were bad and actually started HRT initially to get rid of them. With the recent months experience with anxiety, I'd welcome the hot flushes back any time, if I could just get the anxiety under control. Its so debilitating :o

Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress! xx

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »

You could try 100mg utro daily and see how it goes. It can be prescribed this way in peri but you may get breakthrough bleeding if you have a strong cycle of your own. It's possible you could feel better overall this way. I understand your problem with palpitations, would it be possible to increase by a smaller amount? How is your libido? Testosterone helped my motivation but they will only prescribe it for low libido (mine was zero) and your oestrogen needs to be stable first.
EllaAurora I find it works like a sleeping pill too... during the day...  :(

alibeau

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 07:19:43 PM »

Hi alibeau,

Interesting to read this, I'm the same as you. I feel better on the Utrogestan phase too. I think its probably because of better sleep (I find Utro working almost like a sleeping pill, except no side effects). I remember also that during the last years of my regular periods, when I must have been already deep in peri without realising it, I always felt the best during the second half of the cycle.

I'm taking currently 14 days and just now eagerly waiting for day 14 to come in this cycle, as the previous days have been tough with anxiety. I'll ask gynae next time if I could move to continuous scheme and take it every day.

By the way, I also felt that hot flushes were bad and actually started HRT initially to get rid of them. With the recent months experience with anxiety, I'd welcome the hot flushes back any time, if I could just get the anxiety under control. Its so debilitating :o

Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress! xx

Will do and thank you.  I have decided I will definately do the two extra nights this time with the utro (so 14 in total) and see how I get on...

My hot flushes were on the hour 24 hours a day, dreadful, so not sure I would welcome them back tbh  ;D ;D

It's all so mad, a few years back I thought that the menopause was simply when I would stop having periods, if only it were that easy  ;D ;D

I'd be interested to hear how you get on asking about the continuous regime...

You take care!

Ali x
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 07:27:15 PM by alibeau »

alibeau

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 07:26:35 PM »

You could try 100mg utro daily and see how it goes. It can be prescribed this way in peri but you may get breakthrough bleeding if you have a strong cycle of your own. It's possible you could feel better overall this way. I understand your problem with palpitations, would it be possible to increase by a smaller amount? How is your libido? Testosterone helped my motivation but they will only prescribe it for low libido (mine was zero) and your oestrogen needs to be stable first.
EllaAurora I find it works like a sleeping pill too... during the day...  :(

Thanks.  I guess I will stick with where I am for now just to ensure that I've got it right and the utro is definately helping my anxiety and then I can make some decisions. 

And I guess if it does turn out that the utro is relieving my anxiety I would be best to seek advice about taking that continuously rather than messing with the oestrogel again?

Tbh I've never had much of a libido my whole life, I enjoy the experience  ;) but have never felt the drive to do it iyswim....

Thanks again,

Ali x

alibeau

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 01:42:25 PM »

HI folks,

Just checking in to keep a note for myself and an update for anyone who's interested!

So I just finished the 14 nights ot 200mg of Utro.  I did not have one single feeling of anxiety during this 14 day period.  I am going to see how the next fortnight pans out on the anxiety front.

With hindsight and a clearer head today, I do think that the Utro is making me foggy and groggy...

I have asked Dr Currie about taking 100mg daily for 25 out of 28 nights, she said this could be worth a try, I might experience break through bleeding but no harm would be caused....

I will give it a fortnight and see how I feel, do you think I should run any change past my GP first or just crack on with the advice received?

Thanks.

Ali x

Bumblebeer7

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 02:07:21 PM »

I take 200mg 14 days and feel better with it than the rest of the cycle without. I am calmer and sleep better, so much so that I am wondering if I can up the dose given I am on high dose estrogen.  It was never clear how progesterone should be adjusted with the change in estrogen dosage.