Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Back on vagifem - problems  (Read 859 times)

roseview

Back on vagifem - problems
« on: June 18, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »

Having stopped my vagifem a few months ago due to burning mouth, I seemed to get a bit of a bowel leakage problem, albeit very minor, which may be linked to low estrogen affecting the sphincter muscles. As my GP has insisted that the vagifem has no effect on the cause of my burning mouth, despite the consultant saying that it might, I thought I would go back on it and started on Monday.
However, since then I have had loose stools and bloating. I guess that may be linked to the vagifem as it's listed as a side effect. I don't think that I had any issues previously.
Do I keep going and hope that the bloating settles down once off the loading dose, or do I just give up with the vagifem?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Back on vagifem - problems
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 03:27:38 PM »

Ask your GP for an appropriate referral 2 a menopause clinic ?  Which 'consultant' suggested a lax sphincter muscle? 

'vagifem' is so local that any side effects shouldn't last long.  MayB ask for 'ovestin' instead?

roseview

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 08:11:12 PM »

I felt that some of the burning mouth symptoms were a bit better but GP was really unhelpful and just prescribed some amitriptyline, saying that would help. Having done some research and read the literature, I am not going to touch it, seems it is likely to be worse than the burning mouth.
Since restarting the vagifem, I think that the burning mouth is a bit worse again.
If I speak to go re the bloating, I expect he would just say it must be ibs or something. He really doesn't have any interest in getting to the bottom of anything at all.
Not sure if there is a menopause clinic anywhere here, and my GP just says that I am several years down the menopause road (8 years or so), that nothing else can be attributed to that!

roseview

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 10:17:00 PM »

I have tried a few mouthwashes and changed toothpaste to one recommended by the consultant but that didn't work. I've been using it now for 5 months.