Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Feeling overwhelmed, jnsecure, scared & low?  (Read 4039 times)

Wrensong

Re: Feeling overwhelmed, jnsecure, scared & low?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 02:01:25 PM »

Hi Karine,
The NHS only has one type of progestin, i.e. Utrogestan
There are actually several forms of progesterone/progestogens available on the NHS & I have had all of them prescribed this way over the years.  These include Utrogestan as you say, Dydrogesterone, MPA/Provera, Levonorgestrel & Norethisterone.  Utrogestan capsules, Norethisterone tablets & MPA tablets can be used with separate oestrogen patches, gel or Lenzetto spray, at various doses.  As far as I know, Dydrogesterone is currently only available in the UK as part of a combined oral HRT product in the Femoston range, Levonorgestrel is in Mirena IUD & FemSeven combined patches (sequi & conti - the former type still off the market I believe).  As well as the oral form of Norethisterone this progestogen is incorporated in Evorel combined patches (sequi & conti).

I remember us chatting about this before on an earlier thread but it was quicker to post the info again than search for that. :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:13:50 PM by Wrensong »

Dandelion

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 02:44:38 PM »

Hello,

Has any of you ever felt overwhelmed with the horrible feeling that things are going to get out of control?  Do you feel scared,  insecure and low at the same time? 

I used to also ecperience these feelings when I was still having my periods but I think the menopause is exacerbating everything.

What's your experience?

Thanks

Karine
Yes, I can identify.
It's due to hormone changes, some women muddle through and others choose hrt.
Oestrogen and Progesterone fluctuate prior to menopause in the peri-menopause period which can last varying times for different women.

Some women expect it, knowing it is due to meno, like my sister did I think and come out the other end.

Sometimes I wish I had just gone through meno with out hrt as it's interacting with my other med, I now have fibroids, yet other women on here swear by it.

Sending hugs.

Dandelion

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 02:45:16 PM »

Yes I’m like that right now. I’m scared of everything even though there is nothing to be scared of.  I’m in a state of panic which comes and goes, bag of nerves.  Peri is awful.  Trying to get the HRT in and right is a constant battle? Are you taking HRT?
Big hugs to you, I hope things settle down asap for you.

Dandelion

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 02:47:44 PM »

Hi Floo36,

Thanks for your reply.   

I don't think I'm still peri as I haven't had a period for 16 months now.

I used to have similar experiences during my reproductive years but I think the menopayuse is making things worse. Sometimes I get the impression  I'm going crazy.  I can only imagine that all this is due to low oestrogen rather than fluctuation.  In postmeno, I don't think hormones fluctuate that mucb, if at all.
I'm not on HRT.
I'm no expert but the two female hormones oestrogen and progesterone are the main ones.
As progesterone is a kind of sedating hormone and doctors say it opposes oestrogen I would assume oestrogen is an exitatory hormone but I may be mistaken.

There are wonderful herbs out there, I swear by valerian, It can take 2 weeks to a month to kick in but it does work if you give it time. You need to. have breaks from it.

Dandelion

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »

Fairly similar and, coupled with insomnia, my worst symptoms. I know you don't want to take hrt but I would urge ypu to reconsider. It obviously depends how bad you are but quality of life is important. If you're bad enough you need anti anxiety meds you could be better on hrt.
Personally I would rather research and try herbal meds than pharmaceutical psychotropics as they can be toxic and have withdrawals. My valerian has helped with the morning dreads, but you do need breaks as it can stop working. That's my experience anyway, I take 500mg twice a day, I just came off a break from it a week or so ago, I was taking 500mg once a day, but the container says I can take it twice.

Dandelion

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

Although the hormonal fluctuations of peri change once you are post meno the continuing loss of oestrogen makes symptoms such as anxiety, panic and low mood increase in lots of women. Why not give HRT a try? Youve been feeling unlike yourself for a while now and quality of life is so important. If it doesn't help you can always stop using it but you may find it makes you feel much better. You are young and need to be enjoying life.

Taz x :hug:
Hi Taz

I am finding that it might be my oestrogen that is causing worse panic.
I used to need 100mcg but flushes reduced and as bleeding started I had two reductions without anxiety, slight more sweats but no biggie.
I thought it was the progesterone that was the sedating hormone and oestrogen the exitatory one, changing from gel to patch (Same dose 50mcg) seems to have upped my anxiety and ive dreaded getting out of bed this last few days, considering seeing doc to reduce to 25mcg patch or even cut my 50 in half. I won't do anything until I know better though.

Dandelion

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2021, 03:02:46 PM »

Thanks everyone for your reples.

I will never undrstand why a single hormone such as oestrogen has the capacity to cause so much trouble.  I am hopjng that the anxiety & low mood will not last forever.  Why shouldn't things settle eventually?  I know a lady who reached the menopause at 51.  She told me that, at the age of 55, she no longer has emotional/psychological symptoms. Physical symptoms such as VA might be permanent but I don't think emotional ones are. 

Mine at mild to moderate but they seem to be persistent and at times they make me feel orried, strange and isolated.  I cannot see a change in intensity though.  It might be because my oestrogen has not yet reached its lowest level.  I did a blood test in February this year and it was 586 pmol.  It's bound to go down even more.  I think the lowest in postmeno is around 100pmol.  I'm hoping that it will resolve and that I won't need HRT after all.

The problem with the menopause is that it's very uncertain and we don't know what will happen until we get there.
Yes, we are all different. maybe it is different diets, different ethnicities, I don't know.

Kathleen

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2021, 03:20:48 PM »

Hello again Karine T.

I watched one of the Vogel YouTube videos recently and one commentator asked about the presenter's qualifications. She posted a reply but I must say that I wasn't particularly impressed with what she had to say. Perhaps if you look on the site you will be able to find the comments and see for yourself.

Over the years I have been given many assurances by medics about how long my menopause will last but no one can predict the future. I would like to believe that the emotional symptoms disappear by the time we reach our mid sixties because at sixty four I could do with a break from my mood swings lol! Only time will tell.

We have an alternatives section here on the forum and I am sure other ladies would be interested to follow your progress if you want to dedicate yourself to the herbal route etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Take care.

K.

KarineT

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 03:21:54 PM »

I do have a fibroid but it's not affecting me.  I thought that fibtoids were supposed to shrink in menopause.

KarineT

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2021, 03:40:44 PM »

Hi Kathleen,

Eileen Durward from A.Vogel has several videos so I will have to look.   So someone was commenting on her qualifications?  What sort of qualifications one must have to discuss menopause issues?
Do you think she's not right when she claims that we might have health issues with symptoms similar to the ones we get in the menopause but blame the menopause for them?

Karine

Kathleen

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2021, 06:34:24 PM »

Hello again KarineT

I think someone in the comments section asked if she was a doctor and another poster just wanted her to clarify her qualifications.  She replied saying that she isn't a doctor but has worked in the supplements industry for many years.  She could easily just be a Vogel employee who is the right age and is personable on screen so she got the job.
To be cynical, her task is to sell Vogel products by associating them with successful treatment of the menopause, it's how all advertising works. 

Of course anyone can say anything about the menopause and claim to be an expert,  women on this forum regularly state how wrong their doctor's have been and they ARE doctors lol.

I understand how desperate you are to feel better, I am just the same which is why I hope my book's prediction of emotional symptoms fading soon will be true however I have been on this journey long enough to know that things don't always happen the way you would like them to and a plan B or C can be very useful.

Wishing you well and I hope that you feel better soon.

Take care.

K.

KarineT

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2021, 07:30:51 PM »

Thanks Kathleen for your input.  I guess I have to take it as it comes and hope for the best.  And of course, I will do everything in my power to make sure this whole situation doesn't ruin the rest of my life.  I can't tell for sure but I think I still have a fair way to go at almost 51.  Do you know if there is an age limit to ask for HRT for the first time on the NHS?

Kathleen

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »

Hello again KarineT

Many ladies have asked the question  about an NHS  age limit on HRT. I think the answer is that there is no longer and age limit thanks to the NICE guidelines. You may want to do a search on the forum to learn more.

In my own case I went on HRT at age 57 and apart from a break in 2019/2020 I have been on it ever since. Ideally I would prefer to be on the lowest dose possible but the main thing is to find the right dose to control the symptoms.

The average age for the menopause is 51 so you should not have any problems being offered HRT if you decide that you want to try it.

Take care.

K.

KarineT

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 10:59:58 AM »

But I would have to say that I have terrible hot flushes & that I can't sleep at night because if I say low mood and anxiety are the symptoms I want to control they will give me ADs & anxiety tablets instead of HRT, which I don't want.

Dandelion

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2021, 03:26:15 PM »

But I would have to say that I have terrible hot flushes & that I can't sleep at night because if I say low mood and anxiety are the symptoms I want to control they will give me ADs & anxiety tablets instead of HRT, which I don't want.
You have the right to refuse antidepressants and psych meds.
I would just tell the doctor what your symptoms are.
There is no age limit to HRT.
Pages: 1 [2] 3