Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Starting HRT  (Read 654 times)

diamondd

• First Flush
Starting HRT
« on: June 02, 2021, 07:47:48 PM »

Hallo

I wondered if anyone could help.
I'm due to have an appointment with the doctor about starting HRT. Well i was thinking of the oestogen patch (but how do you know what level you need?), and is it correct that if you still have a womb that you should also take a progesterone tablet?

My periods stopped suddenly last Feb at 49. i've not been bothered by hot flushes and night sweats but i've had teribly achy joints and bones and my face seems to have dropped and aged.  So for those two reasons alone i want to take it?  Does it really make a difference if you have left it 16 months after your period stopped?

Diamond

westie

Re: Starting HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 09:55:18 PM »

Hi Diamond and welcome.

I can only speak from my own experience but HRT has helped enormously in addressing the symptoms you are also having. It also helped with anxiety which was another symptom of mine and one which many women don’t associate with menopause.

Yes you do need to take a progesterone alongside to protect your womb lining. There is lots of info on Dr Louise Newson’s website -menopausedoctor.co.uk. You normally start on a standard dose and need to give it 3 months to see if it makes any difference. The dosing can be trial and error as I have found, one size often doesn’t fit all but for me it’s been worth persevering for the many benefits it provides.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

W x