Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Femoston 2/10 advice on changing after 8 years??  (Read 1164 times)

Donna Suzanne

• First Flush
Femoston 2/10 advice on changing after 8 years??
« on: May 24, 2021, 10:36:09 AM »

Hi Everyone

Has anybody any advice? I'm 52, on HRT for 8 years, (first 5 years Premac C then on Femoston 2/10 for last three years.)

Recently I've been experiencing extreme tiredness, irritability & hot flushes during last week of the pack. I feel it's the dydrogesterone levels. Also have very dry eyes & mouth all the time
 ( although I had covid at christmas and still cant smell or taste anything, maybe the dry mouth is that?).

Doctor wants to lower my femoston dose to 1/10 but the estradol levels in the pack are fine for me so this sounds wrong. Any advice on how to proceed?

any help is Much appreciated

pepperminty

Re: Femoston 2/10 advice on changing after 8 years??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 04:53:38 PM »

Hi,

you are still young and may be in peri. Your hormones will be going up and down in the background. If it is the end of the pack it is most likely to be the progesterone part.
I would go onto loiuse Newson's website and read up. There is also a treatment guides at the top of this site, which will tell you the equivalent dose and types, You may need more estrogen , not less.

There are many options you could try. I would suspect that lowering your dose to 1/10 may increase your symptoms, as the progesterone is still the same strenght in both 1/10 and 2/10. You could ask the GP to give you another type of HRT with the same dosage.

Utrogesatn and gel are supposed to be the gold standard and you can tailor the dose.

Peppermintyxx

Donna Suzanne

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 08:45:54 PM »

Thanks for the feed back Pepperminty,

I'm about to look at that website and read up on Utrogesatn & gel. Also I never considered I could still be going through Peri as my periods stopped when I was 44.
The doctor thought I might be the other side of it but I now think you are right.

I'm seeing Doctor wednesday so I'll be armed with info.

Thanks again so much, have a good evening

Donna XOX :)

pepperminty

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 05:56:39 AM »

Great , keep us informed as to how it goes.

PMXX

Donna Suzanne

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 08:42:41 AM »

Hi pepperminty

Wanted to update you -

I went to my doc with the information about Ultrogestan & Oestragel, she told me she'd been researching HRT for a friend and agreed that I was experiencing a withdrawal,
thought it was the estrogen? She agreed to prescribe the 100mg X 2 Ultrogestan Tablets for 14 days and 2 pumps of the Oestragel daily. (is that equivalent to 2mg of etrogen? as thats what I was on with the femostan ???)

Interestingly, she also told me to call a private health clinic in Dublin for advice on bio identical hormones. The receptionist there was very helpful, (after I nearly had a heart attack at the price for attending the clinic there) - she said my own doctor was very well informed as the products she had recommended ( Utrogestan & Oestragel) were two of the HRT's that the doctor at the clinic would prescribe!) I told her it was advice i got from menopause matters not my own doctor lol

Anyway today I started with the pump, I was only on day 10 of the femoston packet and just switched over to the gel. I'm expecting a bit of a rough patch but hoping to regulate eventually to meet my present needs.

Thanks for your help, I'm hoping the changover period wont be a long one! I told my husband & family to get prepared lol xox :)

Floo36

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »

Sounds like you need more Estrogen not less. Absorption is so varied between us so you never know how you will get on with a treatment until you try it.  It’s a shame you couldn’t have just added the gel to the Femoston 2/10.  You many absorb the gel well and be ok on 1 pump but you will know soon enough if you need to go up.

pepperminty

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »

Hi, thanks for the update. I hope it works for you .  The doses are below. Remember it may take a while to get it right a we all absorb differently.

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/hrt-the-different-ingredients-brands-and-strengths-available

PMXX

Donna Suzanne

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »

Thanks for the link on strengths - So it looks like 2 pumps of Estrogel is less estrogen than what I was taking on Femoston 2/10.  Im going to go back to the drawing board, chat to the doctor again. Simply adding the gell to the femoston is totally logical.

Unbelievable that we have to do our own research, what is wrong with these medical professionals  >:(

Thanks Floo36 & Perperminty for the help & advice.

Donna XX

CDouch

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 03:56:11 PM »

Hi

I was on Femoston 2/10 and had no problems with it but decided to change to Utrogestan and Oestrogel after watching Dr Louise Newson.  I was a bit worried about only using 2 pumps of gel as it seems to be less Oestrogen than what I was getting from Femoston but I decided to use 2 pumps  and see what happened …. I’ve been absolutely fine, perhaps because it’s absorbed directly into the bloodstream it’s more effective but I’d say give it and go as the GP’s seem fairly clueless!