Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Headaches in peri menopause  (Read 959 times)

Happydayz

Headaches in peri menopause
« on: May 23, 2021, 06:42:10 PM »

Hello

I’m in the peri menopause and have been for a while ..... after being fobbed off for 18 months I’m finally at the menopause clinic next week to get HRT

Anyway, I’ve had constant headaches for nearly two years - I’m not prone to them and have exhausted all other possible causes ....... tension type headaches that I can’t attribute to anything.

I’m at the end of my tether and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and whether HRT helped?

Many thanks ladies!

shrosphirelass

Re: Headaches in peri menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 06:53:42 PM »

I went on HRT during peri (evorel sequi) because of hormonal headaches. Although I had always had cyclic headaches they got a lot worse during peri. HRT did help but I did continue to experience them. They are now so much better, which I think is because I went onto a continuous regime (evorel conti) as I was nearly 58 and probably menopausal. I think reducing the hormonal fluctuations made the difference. helped. I don't think you can go onto a conti regime until you are menopausal.

The other thing that helped me was a physio appointment. I was told my posture was awful and that I had issues with my neck. I have worked on posture and now do regular neck exercises.

Happydayz

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 07:40:19 PM »

Thanks so much for the reply! I was starting to think I was going mad ........😄 I’ve done osteopath and chiropractor so far but will look into neck exercises too ........I’ve got 3 young kids and a full time job so need to get rid of them by any means..........!!

Headaches are one of the many symptoms I’ll be mentioning to the doctor ......😂

Mogster71

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 08:08:10 PM »

I could have written your post myself, I had 2 years of hell with headaches almost every day. I started on HRT in 2019, on a low dose, at age 47. My periods were starting to get further apart so I knew I was well on the way! With a screen-based job I did also get my neck sorted with an osteopath but the heads continued.

The low dose seemed to do the trick but only for a few months before the headaches ramped up again; I muddled on for a bit longer but when lockdown started I upped it to a medium dose and the headaches vanished virtually overnight. I've sinced moved regime from tablets to patches, (was Femoston 2/10, now Evorel Sequi) as it is believed transdermal is better due to it not being processed by the liver.

Wishing you all the best  at the meno clinic, and fingers crossed HRT helps you out x

Happydayz

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »

Oh my goodness .....such a relief to hear (obviously that you had headaches 🤣) ........am so desperate and it’s amazing to know that there may be light at the end of a very long tunnel .....I’m nearly 47 feeling 57 ......

I’ll keep you posted!!!!

Mogster71

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 08:25:21 PM »

Definitely keep us posted!! I do still get the odd "off day" as in peri, your own hormones are still very much at play. But on the whole, it's had a really positive effect since I got the dose right.

Good luck!!

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »

If you haven't already done so I would get your eyes tested.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »

Good luck with the appt Happydayz. Glad to hear your headaches are improved Mogster, it's wonderful isn't it, the lack of them!

Mogster71

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 10:46:53 AM »

Hi Shropshirelass!

I was just thinking about you when I saw your reply earlier, so glad you're doing ok  :) I am heartened that you feel better on a conti scheme, fingers crossed I will too when its time for me to move across to that. I am suffering today and I do still get the odd one here and there (normally at ovulation and period times) but I think this one is down to my 2nd covid jab  :-\

Happydayz I do agree with sheila99 too, do get your eyes checked. They picked up a high eye pressure with my eye test (which can in itself cause headaches) and even I paid to have private eye surgery in the hope it would solve the problem. It didn't, just happened to be a coincidence! That was how desperate I was to get rid of the constant pain.

xx

Happydayz

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 11:28:25 AM »

Thank you so much ladies and will do!!!!

I feel like my appointment can’t come quick enough .....struggling with this for two years and now 10 days feels like a lifetime .....🤦‍♀️😂

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 05:31:09 PM »

I'm 45 and been trialling different contraceptive pills to try and balance my peri symptoms. I tried her, but the estrogen alone was too much, so I'm clearly not at that stage yet.

During a few month break my headaches were awful. Migraines that came frequently. Since starting on this pill I've not had any...