Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Period from hell - help!  (Read 689 times)

Missylou

Period from hell - help!
« on: May 15, 2021, 12:46:24 PM »

Hello ladies.

I’m 55 and perimenopausal and was prescribed estrogel plus 12 days of Utrogestan vaginally a month ago. I finished my first 12 days of Utrogestan on Monday (following 14 days of estrogel) and a bleed started yesterday afternoon. I have been up a lot of the night with such dreadful period pain, like I’ve never, ever experienced before. The pain was traveling down the tops of my thighs and I felt physically sick with it.

I’ve never had too bad period pains before, at least not since I was in my teens/20s and even then, nothing this bad.

Do you think it could be my body is adjusting to the regime and it will settle down after a few months?

I was using one pump of estrogel initially which worked on flushes and the number of times I was getting up in night to go to the loo. Didn’t seems to touch my low mood so I upped does to two pumps this week. I seem to be worse than ever (really tearful) but that could maybe be PMT symptoms. I found I was sleeping solidly on the utrogestan, which I was pleased about.

I got to 55 with no symptoms and thought I’d gotten away with it. Then it all hit me like a sledge hammer. This forum really is invaluable as most GPs know very little about it. I was able to find out as much as I could and ask for what I wanted. I know it’s early days so my hope is the pain and low mood will settle. Any views/thoughts appreciated x

Taz2

Re: Period from hell - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 02:18:36 PM »

Hi Missylou. So sorry you are experiencing such a horrible period. I've never been on your regime as I have always used Evorel patches but my first two bleeds were as you describe then they settled down to just a few days of light bleeding and no real pain so I hope it's the same for you. I found nurofen and a hot water bottle helped a lot with the pain.  I hope the low mood improves soon too. It takes around three months to find out whether a particular HRT is the right one for you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »

OUCH! I had period pains++ for years  :-\ until I went on The Pill.  There is a very good pain relief, name escapes me  >:(.  ?? 'feminax' ??  Don't suffer, ask your Pharmacist for advice.

Missylou

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 09:31:41 PM »

Thank you. Gives me hope this will settle down x