Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Free menopause training for 1 GP per practice  (Read 1353 times)

pepperminty

Free menopause training for 1 GP per practice
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »

The below is copied and paste , pass onto your GP practice if you want to spread the word.

Pepperminty x

Today is the official launch of @themenocharity and I am VERY excited to tell you all that the charity are giving FREE menopause education to ALL GP practices in the UK.
So many GPs and healthcare professionals have had little or no menopause training.
The Menopause Charity has been launched to support women and healthcare professionals and is here to offer practical help. We have collaborated with @fourteenfish and my not-for-profit Newson Health Research and Education to offer free access for ONE Health Professional per GP practice across the UK to an evidence-based "Confidence in Menopause" course. This would usually be £135. There are 10,000 GP practices so this is over £1m worth of training.
General practice is a hugely demanding place, and education needs to be easy to access, relevant, evidence-based and fun. This online menopause education programme aims to deliver that in a simple modular package consisting of numerous lectures and a series of video-based e-consultations with MCQ assessment. This is CPD accredited with a certificate received after completing each section.
“As a working GP I cannot stress enough that I have seen first-hand the extreme suffering by women and their families around and after the menopause. It is vital to deliver regular ongoing quality evidence-based education to resolve this problem.  Gone are the days of collecting certificates to show competence, we have embraced new clever technology to clearly demonstrate real learning and improve delivery of care directly to our patients” explains Dr Mark Coombe, GP and Educational Director at FourteenFish. 
This programme delivers knowledge to consult, prescribe and monitor women with hormones changes due to the menopause, and empower the management of complex cases such as those with family history of cancer or clot disease safely and confidently. Healthcare professionals will also receive peer support and can submit queries through the community section.
Here is the link. Share with your GP practices and together we can make a real difference! https://www.fourteenfish.com/join/confidence2021
#menopause #exciting #makingadifference #ownyourmenopause #helpingothers

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Free menopause training for 1 GP per practice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »

Who are 14fish?  :-\ - I feel confused .........

GPs can get menopause information, it's available on modules throughout their training/working life.  But it's not compulsory  ::)

I wonder who The Menopause Charity are run by, they should be contacting the GP Surgeries directly?  I can imagine if I turned up to my Surgery what the reaction might well be!  [Too tired to look right now 4 more info.]  :-\.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 07:13:54 PM by CLKD »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:53:36 PM »

Thanks Pepperminty, I do hope GP practices take advantage of this. It is much needed.

Robin

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 08:17:37 PM »

It’s wonderful and over 1000 have signed up already  :) I feel a bit more optimistic that things might change
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 08:19:35 PM by Robin »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 07:21:56 AM »

The Modules are also free .............. I remember Drugs' Companies arranging evenings with films, talks and food.  Is this a similar type of idea?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 07:33:19 AM »

Ah - I've had an e-mail from Louise Newson this morning explaining the reasons 4 and behind this charity.  Apparently Davina is Ambassador.

pepperminty

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »

I have sent the link to My Gp surgery via email and I hope they take a look.

I hope that they are open to the idea.

PMX

Robin

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 11:58:28 AM »

Over 3000 have signed up already  :) Thats a huge number so maybe the charity contacted every practice. This will make such a difference.  I’ve donated and will again when I’m able to. I don’t want my daughter or any woman to go through what I did

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 02:23:07 PM »

Who is actually funding this 'charity'  :-\ ........... it shouldn't be up to the public.  Why charitable status, it's not clear anywhere in the e-mail that I received.