Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: All the symptoms but normal FSH  (Read 591 times)

Tootsie78

All the symptoms but normal FSH
« on: May 13, 2021, 08:23:25 PM »

Hi,

I’m suffering with all the classic peri symptoms and hormone changes - regular periods but shortened cycles, breast cyst last year, anxiety, cyclical hot flushes at night, itchy skin, more intense cyclical migraines, palpitations etc. etc.

I had a full suite of blood tests recently - all normal including FSH just slightly borderline ferritin.

Is it possible to be in peri but still have normal FSH? Obviously the test meant that according to GP I can’t possibly be even though early menopause runs in the family.....

Thank you!

Taz2

Re: All the symptoms but normal FSH
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 08:42:13 PM »

I was told by my GP that I'd never have another period based on my FSH result but I went on to have many more so I think the reverse could be true too. Blood tests are really unreliable when diagnosing menopause and a knowledgeable doctor will go by symptoms rather than blood results.

How old are you?

Taz x

Tootsie78

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »

43 - my maternal grandmother and maternal aunt both had early 40s menopause.

Unfortunately certain symptoms correlate to long Covid, so that’s the ‘diagnosis’ so far - but some were present before I got Covid in March 2020 and based on things I’ve read, Covid disrupts women’s menstrual cycles and hormones as well so it could just have expedited everything.

I’ve not been on the pill for years as always struggled with menstrual headaches - so my hormones and whatever havoc they’re causing is completely natural.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 09:12:23 PM »

If the symptoms are peri-menopause related then you really do need to replace your lost oestrogen due to your young age. I understand Covid might have disrupted things but would your GP be prepared to give you a trial of HRT? If not have you got a different GP in your practice who you could ask? It's apparent from the Davina McColl menopause documentary on TV last night that many women find themselves in your position.

Taz x  :hug: