Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Uromune - Vaccine for Recurrent UTIs  (Read 2243 times)

Iris67

Uromune - Vaccine for Recurrent UTIs
« on: May 05, 2021, 05:09:29 PM »

OK, so after my 3rd UTI in 8 weeks I have gone into research mode and discovered that there is a very effective vaccine for recurrent UTIs called Uromune. It is used in Spain, has been trialled in the UK and found to work brilliantly. There are others in development. Why though, if the first trials here were done in 2017, is it not available? (Rhetorical question - further trials needed). Has Big Pharma got a hand in the delay? The shareholders in the company that produces Nitrofuratoin?

I cannot believe something with seemingly so few side effects and so many women in desperate need is not available. After all - we know know that vaccines can be made in a year if there's the will eh?

menomope

Re: Uromune - Vaccine for Recurrent UTIs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:15:08 PM »

That is very VERY interesting Iris. I will have a look myself.
I would be willing to participate in a further trail for that- would be a long queue though!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:26:12 PM »

This can probably be prescribed via a Urogynae Consultant?  Have you asked your GP for more info., i.e. expense, availability etc.? Also, it can take years B4 a product gets to the customer. 

The reason for the embedded UTI should be investigated first ........... and questions about this product discussed. Shall I fire up the charabanc?  Is there a NICE comment? An e-mail to Dr Currie ? 

Fortunately my UTIs weren't.  So appropriate VA treatment has worked since about 5-6 years.  But 4 those who continue with the awful symptoms would be relieved to know of other products etc..  4 me VA was like razor blades  :o up there!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:28:10 PM »

:thankyou:  However, 3,000 World wide isn't many and was it a blind trial, how many were in the UK and was it male and female.  Will you contact Southampton 4 more info.?

Interesting - tnx for sharing  :foryou:

Jenna

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 07:01:43 PM »

OK, so after my 3rd UTI in 8 weeks I have gone into research mode and discovered that there is a very effective vaccine for recurrent UTIs called Uromune. It is used in Spain, has been trialled in the UK and found to work brilliantly. There are others in development. Why though, if the first trials here were done in 2017, is it not available? (Rhetorical question - further trials needed). Has Big Pharma got a hand in the delay? The shareholders in the company that produces Nitrofuratoin?

I cannot believe something with seemingly so few side effects and so many women in desperate need is not available. After all - we know know that vaccines can be made in a year if there's the will eh?

Very interesting - it seems to be available here:

https://westsussexurology.co.uk/clinical_service/recurrent-urinary-tract-infections-including-uromune/

Iris67

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 07:19:12 PM »

Yes I saw that....and here: https://theurologypartnership.co.uk/treatments/uti-vaccine/

Seems to be on a named patient basis. Not sure if that would include NHS patients or just private...in research mode currently....will post further updates.

If anyone has this problem it's worth an ask....

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »

It certainly is!

Iris67

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 11:23:10 AM »

I can confirm that it is available on a named patient basis privately. It's not massively expensive and if anyone suffers a lot the results look brilliant. The place that has it is involved in the trials/testing (and have published) and is linked to the NHS Trust in Reading Berkshire. Experts in their field.

It seems to have less success with older people, but I'm not sure of the ages (50? 80?) which are considered 'old'.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 08:00:10 PM »

;D. there is no legal defininition of 'elderly'.  Which is why SAGA holidays can target anyone over the age of 50  :rofl:

I say if it works then use it, regardless of age? 

Loo53

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:41:43 PM »

I’ve suffered for years with UTIs. Every so often I get one. I was only given week antibiotic courses. Nothing would get rid. Sick to death of getting them over and over for the last 12 months a clever GP put me on a 2 month course of Cefalexin and voila I’ve not had an infection for a long time. Turns out the problem was infection living in my bladder and not my kidney or tubes as I thought. So far so good and legs crossed.  ::)