Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cervical Screening Test Disaster ***UPDATE 25th JUNE  (Read 2229 times)

JoJo42

Cervical Screening Test Disaster ***UPDATE 25th JUNE
« on: April 26, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »

UPDATE:

Well. Went to the local hospital today to the Colposcopy Clinic to get my smear test done…and…this is basically how it went:

Lovely receptionist made me feel welcome

ME: panic, panic, ramble on anxiously, panic, panic, sweat, waffle *went to sit in the waiting room

Colposcopy Nurse: *called me over. “Hi Joanne. How are you?”

Me: panic, panic, ramble on anxiously, panic, panic, waffle on about a load of rubbish, much hand-wringing and profuse sweating, palpitations

Colposcopy Nurse: “Aww, don’t worry. Come on in. We will take good care of you.”

Colposcopy Nurse 2 in the treatment room: “Hiya Joanne! Come on in. Take a seat. Right so you had some problems with the smear test…Tell me…”

Me: *panic, panic, ramble on anxiously, panic, panic, waffle, much hand-wringing, profuse sweating, basically tell everyone my life story, rabbit on about atrophy, hrt, pain, waffled on about my clothes at one stage…apologising for my pop-socks!! More Blah,blah,blah…

Nurses: *Nod, nod, smile, pour bucket loads of empathy all over me.

Nurse 2: “Awww, Let’s get you sorted…”

Got undressed behind a curtain. Left my long socks on and a long baggy t-shirt. Sat on the most comfortable examination chair/bed in the world…

Nurse 1: *chat, chat, smile, nod, chat

Me: *calming down, chat, chat, waffle

Nurse 2: *prepares small, metal speculum

Me: *deep breath…waits for the pain and the awful sound of the speculum opening

Nurse 1 *chat, chat, smile

Me: chat, chat…still waiting for the pain/awful sound to begin…

Nurse 2: Right okey dokey. All done.

Me: Eh?

Nurse 2: Yep. Done.

Me:WHAT!!? Done? All done?

Nurses: Yep! Done done.

DID. NOT. FEEL. A. SINGLE. THING!!!!! Seriously. First time ever.

I will be going back to that clinic to have it done next time. The examination bed/chair made a massive difference. Not like at the GP surgery when they tell you to let your knees fall open when the couch is right next to a wall and then say make your hands into fists then put them under your bum to lift it slightly…and then try to relax….ridiculous.

If you are referred to the colposcopy clinic because of a difficult smear/failed smear honestly - go and don’t worry. Best experience of a smear test I’ve ever had in my entire life. The nurses told me next time to ask the gp to refer me to the clinic as soon as the reminded comes.

Please go for your smear check-ups. Honestly this has thrown a whole new light on the procedure for me. xxxx

Hi everyone,

feeling very down in the dumps. I’m on Vagifem (using it x5 days per week which seems to keep everything under control fine) and Evorel Sequi patches. Went for my smear test today and told the nurse about the V.A beforehand which is under pretty good control at the moment (no itching/pain/tears/not overly dry/ sore areas/no bladder issues) and the nurse got the small speculum in absolutely fine, but then when she started to open it - sheer agony. Tried a medium sized speculum as well just to see if that made a difference, and again - went in fine, but as she started to open it up a couple of times and I had to tell her to stop again. Now she says she’s referring me to the hospital to have it done there, but what can they do differently? Why is it so bad when I’ve not been troubled too much by the V.A. Last time I had it done it was uncomfortable but not unbearable (like being stabbed with a knife!) Could it be something else? Any info/ thoughts appreciated?

J xx
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:13:15 AM by JoJo42 »

JoJo42

Re: Cervical Screening Test Disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 02:29:45 PM »

Thanks for your reply, Jaypo. Sorry to hear you have the same issue. The stretching part of the exam today was off the scale!Made my eyes pop out! I think I will increase to daily with the vagifem for a while and see what the gp referral says. I imagine they still have to use a speculum at the hospital so have no idea what the plan will be. I have just been on Jo’s Trust and seen a helpline for questions about smear tests so I might send them an email or give them a ring. The nurse couldn’t get me out of the room quick enough and was very cagey about the next  step and this has made me worry even more! x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 03:21:11 PM »

Don't worry too much, it's due to VA most probably.  The speculum is used so that the Nurse can have a look to see if everything looks healthy in that area.  Last time the Nurse used a brush to take samples. 

Let us know how you get on.  Were you asked not to use the 'vagifem' prior to the exam.?

JoJo42

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 03:27:19 PM »

Thanks CLKD. Will do. Yes, they said on the leaflets not to use creams, pessaries etc for two days before the test.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »

No wonder the Nurse couldn't get a good entry!  They really don't realise how much 'vagifem' etc. is required, often daily!  Could you get an early appt. so that as soon as you are home, you can put a dose into the vagina?  Also take pain relief B4 the next appt. to relax as much as possible.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 08:10:43 PM »

Ask for a brush. I find the speculum horrendous but they don't actually need it to get a sample. I find a brush is fine.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 07:18:35 AM »

That's what I remember, nothing but the brush.

JoJo42

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 08:41:33 AM »

Thanks CLKD and Sheila99. I didn’t even know a brush was an option!!!! I had to Google it to see what it was. sounds like a better deal to me. I’m so tired of this menopause malarkey and all the things it keeps throwing up out of the blue. I find that I can bob along ok for ages and then BAM! Something else. And I get tired of people looking aghast at me when I say I’m on HRT. One woman said to me ...ooh, hrt, really not good, you should try something natural. Honestly, I nearly flipped my (swear wording) lid!!! I amaze myself that I can stay calm sometimes when faced with the utter tripe that pours out of the world’s mouth. The amount of times I have to to explain to nobodies that I don’t necessarily WANT to be on HRT or actually like being on it. I use it because without hrt my life is unbearable. They don’t question people on the pill or on other meds. And I’m tired of the way the world treats women. Smash the patriarchy! Hehe! Rant over. Eeh...I that felt good! I’m feeling better today although still feel a bit sore and a slight tummy ache after yesterday.
Thanks ladies for all the help. You are stars!!  :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 09:10:09 AM »

Why tell anyone  :-\ - do you tell them each time you change your socks or go to the loo?  ;)

I long ago gave up explaining what I take, unless it was a general discussion.  ADs, anti-anxiety meds., VA treatment ........ that's between my GP, DH and myself, surely?

My retort would be 'menopause is natural and so is digitalis' ...........  ;D.  Have that retort ready?

I thought that the brush method was preferable these days? 

JoJo42

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »

Lol! You’re sooo right! I always feel like I need to explain myself. I don’t know why. Verbal diarrhoea kicks in I think. I’ve never ever heard of the brush method! Maybe that’s what they’ll do at the hospital now the nurse has washed her hands of me. I’ve probably been labelled as an evil entity because they couldn’t open the speculum.
“so is digitalis” haha! Oh I absolutely LOVE that. I’m definitely stealing that. It has a kind of sinister edge to it that makes me laugh like Muwahhahahahaaaaaaa!  :diablo: :diablo:  ;D ;D
You’re a gem xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 09:40:25 AM »

:wub:  ........... some won't know what 'digitalis' is  ;)  :whist:

JoJo42

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »

Oh I properly laughed out loud.  :rofl:You’ve cheered me up no end after yesterday’s horrendous encounter. xx :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 11:19:31 AM »

You are welcome.  We have a funny room too, have you found it yet?  Do look out for That Strange Woman too  ;D

JoJo42

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 03:56:50 PM »

Will have a look! Laughter is a great medicine isn’t it, although menopause has severely tested my sense of humour at times. Hehe! I will keep a look out for the strange one!  :tulips: (that’s me with a bunch of digitalis  ;D ;D)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 08:45:59 PM »

Nope that's you with a bunch of tulips  ;D

You'll fit right in ......... I often say that DH and I don't laugh enough. 
Pages: [1] 2