Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Saying hello......and hoping for help!  (Read 1406 times)

Crossfitmum

• First Flush
Saying hello......and hoping for help!
« on: April 25, 2021, 10:14:28 PM »

Hi everyone!

I’m 51, nearly 52 and went straight from using the contraceptive pill onto hrt with only a six week break so I have no idea about periods or what stage of menopause I’m at etc. I was started on oestrogel and utrogestan on day 15-26, I don’t tolerate progesterone well and could never use a mini pill or Mirena as contraception as it caused severe side effects of acne, debilitating joint pain and greasy skin & hair within hours of using.
I started the gel last month 3 pumps was recommended, and within days I felt like a different person, my joints stopped hurting which had been severe, I could think straight and I stopped crying at every tiny thing. The problem came at day 15 within 3 hours of the progesterone, 2x100mg tablets I had a migraine and was vomiting! I was in hospital at the time for unrelated issues and they suggested I stop taking the progesterone for three days and then just take 1 tablet for a couple of days to build back up which I did, the acne started straight away which was disappointing but no more migraines.

What happens on day 27 when I stop the tablets, does everything stop for two days , does the gel just continue, is essentially day 29, day 1 again or am i getting it all wrong, no one seems to be able to tell me.......sorry if I’m being thick!
I’m on day 15 again tomorrow and not sure whether to start the progesterone again or not?
God this is garbled, so sorry!
To add to this I feel the good effects have stopped working, my joints are hurting again, I’m over emotional, like I’m back to square one!

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance
Crossfitmum x

sheila99

Re: Saying hello......and hoping for help!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 10:37:14 PM »

:welcomemm:
You take oestrogen every day. You could try using utrogeston vaginally which has fewer side effects and should eliminate digestive issues. Push it up as far as you can just before go get into bed. According the manufacturer the dose is the same, according to newsonhealth you can halve the dose using it vaginally (so 1 x 100mg x 12 days). You should stick to 3 pumps for 3 months to give it time to work but you may consider increasing after this if your symptoms are returning. I'm sure you know progesterone is required to keep your lining thin, you're at greater risk of cancer if it builds up.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:24 AM »

Hi Crossfit mum. Good advice from sheila99.

You are not thick just trying to cope with feeling horrible and something new to get to grips with.

As Sheila says you take oestrogen all of the time and utrogestan for some of the month. When you stop the utrogestan you should get a withdrawal bleed. It can take up to three months to settle on any HRT and if this one doesn't suit you can then try others.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Crossfitmum

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »

Thank you both so much for welcoming and answering me! This feels like an absolute minefield...

Just to clarify, I am currently doing:
Day 1-14: 3 pumps oestrogel, partially rubbed into inner arms and leave to dry and soak in
Day 15-26: as above plus 200mg Utrogestan orally

Should there be a days 27 and 28 that I am missing? or is the full cycle 26 days?

Is this way of taking the Oestrogel correct?

I will give it a good 3 months, I am half way through the second now before making too many changes unless I am doing it wrong? I did have bleeding for 2.5 days after finishing the progresterone so hopefully that is as it should be!

Thanks so much again for your help and guidance

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »

Days 27 and 28 - 3 pumps oestrogel.
So every day 3 pumps oestrogel. Days 15-26 utrogeston as well as the 3 pumps oestrogel. This gives you a 28 cycle and you should bleed a couple of days after finishing utrogeston.
Oestrogel should not be applied to inner arms where it could rub off onto your breasts. It should be applied to inner thighs or outer arms/shoulders.

Crossfitmum

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 11:08:27 AM »

Many thanks xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »

:welcomemm: