Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: If utrogestan causes insomnia, does it settle down over time?  (Read 927 times)

Noheroicsplease

I'm considering going back to HRT, for various reasons. I'm trying out Utrogestan as it's always the progesterone that gets me.

I used 100mg vaginally 2 x nights now. Both nights I woke a lot, very hot. I am not a great sleeper anyway, but it's definitely not been a sedative.

Does this settle down? Or am I going to be one of those women who can't tolerate it?

Wrensong

Re: If utrogestan causes insomnia, does it settle down over time?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 11:54:54 AM »

Hi there, sorry to hear about the Utrogestan reaction & hope other ladies will be along to reassure you that it may settle with time, but just to say you're not alone in this unfortunate response.  Affects me the same way & I've tried it with various different doses of oestrogen & by both routes.  That's only 100mg Utro, yet still it feels far too powerful for me.  Like you I'm a poor sleeper anyway, so really don't need anything that makes it worse!  Longest I took it for was 5 weeks conti, but it also caused other horrible effects that together made it intolerable.  Progesterone is documented as causing pyrexia/fever but seems not to affect everyone that way, judging by the number of members who report feeling well on it.  I so wished it would suit me, given its favourable reputation compared with the synthetics, but have had to accept that for some reason it really doesn't.  I hope in your case it's just a matter of time & wish you luck with it. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:13:41 PM by Wrensong »

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »

It's unlikely to settle. If you haven't already tried other progestins I would do so as you may be OK on something different. Or you could consider sequi on a long cycle to give you more 'good' time. Newson health thinks you can halve the dose if you use it vaginally.

Letmein

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:51:25 AM »

This was the same for me. My main and now it issue left with managing the menopause is my sleep. I haven't have an interrupted night except for maybe a handful in 5 years.

HRT didn't seem to help although at the time, I was under massive stress. Utrogestan certainly didn't make it better and indeed seemed to make it worse.

In the end, I couldn't tolerate it. It made me severely depressed, angry, bloated and just very unhappy.

Sadly, my sleep issues are ruining my life and after trying absolutely everything recommended, including CBT, I've decided to try her again but going private to see if I can take progesterone only a week every clue of months or so whilst getting regular scans and see if it helps better now that my life is completely free of stress...except for the poor sleep.