Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Honest opinions required please  (Read 2757 times)

Chocolatemilkshake

Honest opinions required please
« on: March 27, 2021, 02:10:19 PM »

Hi ladies, sorry I don't post often but this site is amazing.
I'm on my 3rd uti this month,  doctor trying a different antibiotic this time.
I have no idea where I am regarding menopause... I was told in 2016 I was showing menopausal markers when I had a blood test taken for something else...
I had a Mirena replacement in 2016, but was told that due to my age it could stay in until  2023...
Sorry  I'm waffling,  my point is my symptoms are horrible at the moment,  I don't know whether it's due to uti's or hormones running out in mirena... doctor has suggested I try vagifem and fluoxetine...
I just don't know what to do.... been crying every day this month, feel totally useless and a complete waste of space.
If I've been menopausal since at least 2016, should I just carry on, or try these 2 treatments?
What happens when they stop? Do all the symptoms come back but I will be older and potentially even less able to cope?
HRT patches etc. not recommended by gp due to other conditions and family etc...
Thanks for reading. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Honest opinions required please
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »

Have the urine samples been sent to a Lab. for testing to see whether there is infection?  Your GP is correct 2 suggest 'vagifem' - do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads. Make notes ;-)

How far apart were the ? uti ? symptoms.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there, which caused me to need to pee constantly.  I sat on the loo, it was the place where I could relax.

Whilst Antibiotic therapy did ease symptoms it didn't get rid of the reason, i.e. a drop in oestrogen - which can make the whole body dry, inside and out.

Give the Surgery a ring on Monday and ask for 'vagifem'.  You don't need examinations or blood tests.

I think that the Mirena is slow release for about 5 years, if you put 'mirena coil' into the search box, threads will pop up.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 05:46:00 PM »

If you stay on hrt I think your mirena needs replacing, it lasts 4 years for contraception and 5 for hrt. I haven't heard of it lasting for 7vyears? What oestrogen are you on now? Why does your gp think patches aren't appropriate? Transdermal is safer than oral so gel or a patch should be the way to go. It might be that you're producing less oestrogen yourself so need to increase it.
utis appear very similar to VA so definetly worth making sure it really is a uti.

Chocolatemilkshake

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 06:44:31 AM »

Thanks,  the nurse tested my wee each time and it's definitely a UTI . This 3rd one is much worse, she phoned me and was very concerned... a sample was sent to the lab... but I was too poorly to await the results... I begged the doctor for help... very embarrassing phone call.
Symptoms are, pain on weeing, my insides feel raw and on fire,  back ache, shakes, temperature,  weak, crying and just feel soooo awful.
Male, grumpy, unsympathetic gp... said antibiotics for UIT... then also prescribed vagifem... he suggested frequently getting UTI's may be caused by hormones...or lack of...
He prescribed fluoxetine for hot sweats....
I'm going to try the vagifem, but do feel concerned about it...
Not keen on trying the antidepressants though as I've had them in the past for depression and don't really like them...
How do they help menopausal symptoms?
I wanted my mirena replaced but they won't in the current climate...
Think that's it...
Bloomin brain fog

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 07:42:01 AM »

Your Nurse should have send the urine samples to a Lab., dip stick tests won't show evidence of vaginal atrophy and if the correct AB wasn't prescribed .........

Your GP is correct.  This could be hormonal.

Get the 'vagifem' inserted every night for 2-3 weeks. It may sting initially but after a couple of nights as the area becomes moist that should improve.   4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there.

Fluoxetine does ease sweats for some women.  Many drugs World Wide have been found beneficial for conditions that they weren't originally designed for.

As for the Mirena - how long has it been in place?  Current climate isn't an excuse, the NHS is open for business.  Matt says so!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 08:49:31 AM »

Thanks,  the nurse tested my wee each time and it's definitely a UTI . This 3rd one is much worse, she phoned me and was very concerned... a sample was sent to the lab... but I was too poorly to await the results... I begged the doctor for help... very embarrassing phone call.
Symptoms are, pain on weeing, my insides feel raw and on fire,  back ache, shakes, temperature,  weak, crying and just feel soooo awful.

These symptoms are part of having an upper UTI rather than just the more usual lower one. Usually it's where a lower one has crept further into the urinary system. I hope you are on antibiotics now to stop it worsening. The shakes especially point to this. Hope you feel better soon. In the meantime rest if you can. Drink plenty of fluids and also record your temperature daily. You may also find you feel nauseous and without an appetite. Food might taste strange too. I had this a few years ago now but it floored me and felt very different to any other UTI I'd had.

As for anti depressants for your meno symptoms has your GP given a reason for not prescribing HRT which is what I feel would be the proper route to take?

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 10:55:54 AM »

The ADs are to ease flushes Taz.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »

Yes but that's the only meno symptom they address?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 01:21:30 PM »

As far as I know.  Better than nowt and if that's the main symptom then simple methods to start with.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 01:25:25 PM »

I think that isn't the NICE guidelines though. Feels like we're going backwards!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 01:37:18 PM »

For some reason GP doesn't recommend patches etc.  :-\ 

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 03:18:14 PM »

The immediate problem is the uti which needs treating with antibiotics. The level of ignorance shown by this gp about menopause is frightening though sadly not unusual. If you need contraception you should use something else because a 5 year old mirena won't protect you. Your meno symptoms are because you're deficient in oestrogen so the obvious remedy is to replace the oestrogen you used to produce yourself. ADs are not an appropriate substitute. Transdermal is safer than oral so perhaps ask for a patch or gel rather than tablets. See the treatments tab for available options. You can use the mirena for the progesterone you need alongside oestrogen to protect your womb but it needs to be replaced. Covid is not an excuse for this. You could ask your surgery if they have a gp who deals with menopause who might know a bit more than this one, if not you can ask for a referral to an NHS menopause clinic. You are entitled to appropriate treatment so please don't be fobbed off.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 04:27:18 PM »

Agree - get a referral to a menopause clinic.

Chocolatemilkshake

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 04:36:04 PM »

Thanks ladies. I put my foot down with a firm hand lol  and got some different antibiotics.
I've phoned every sexual health clinic in a 20 mile radius.... all go to answer phone  they do not call back. The only one yo answer was the young people one... she was lovely,  but wouldn't help me. Gp said mirena will protect against pregnancy... but he came across as rude... Wittering on about how uts the actual coil that prevents it not the hormones....
Definitely feeling fobbed off....
I do suffer with depression,  but came off anti depressants years ago and don't really want to go back on them.
If its just for the flushes  then I'm not keen.
I have started on the vagifem....now seem to have period pains too...

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 07:16:21 PM »

A coil is supposed to aggravate the walls of the uterus = a bleed.  Put 'mirena coil' into the search box - make notes ;-)

You may get a few cramps until the vaginal wall begins to plump up as the 'vagifem' begins to work.  Take some pain relief?

Some ADs do help with hot flushes.  It really depends on much they interfere with daily living.
Pages: [1] 2