Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Do I stop/reduce HRT? Help! Ferritin?  (Read 1364 times)

Julia45

Do I stop/reduce HRT? Help! Ferritin?
« on: March 18, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »

I don’t know what to do??

I’ve been treating low ferritin (iron stores) with iron supplements for the last 5 weeks alongside taking 200mg every day of Utrogestan to stop periods (allowing iron to build up).

I don’t know if it’s the low iron or HRT making me feel constantly lightheaded/woozy and very tired. I’ve been like this for months.

How do I stop the HRT gel? Wean off or just stop? I’ve stopped the utrogestan and I’m now having a period....

Any help appreciated X

Taz2

Re: Do I stop/reduce HRT? Help! Ferritin?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »

Hi Julie. Has this regime been recommended by a doctor? Has your reason for low ferritin been investigated?

Taz x

Julia45

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 07:52:38 PM »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, low ferritin is due to a heavy bleed last year after taking antibiotics. They gave me a huge period. Went on HRT and the ferritin dropped further.
I’ve built it up again now over the last 5 weeks but I still have symptoms.
My Oestrodial is 427 from yesterday’s blood test so not sure if high or low. Just finished the progesterone (which I took at a higher dose to reduce periods).
Do you know how long it takes to go from my system? X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 12:13:04 AM »

No sorry I don't but someone will be along soon with more knowledge.

When I had low ferritin it took six months of prescribed tablets to get my levels back up. I had a blood test each month to check that things were going ok so I wouldn't think five weeks is long enough? How long have you been on HRT for?

Taz x

Julia45

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »

Thanks for this.
My ferritin level has gone up to 80 (from 32) in the 5 weeks I have been taking it. Were you lightheaded/spaced out all day when you had low ferritin?
That’s the worst but for me!
Do you think your body has to get used to the higher level in order to see symptoms improve? I’m panicking I won’t feel normal again!
Did your symptoms get a bit better for a few hours and then go back again?

Julia