Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: On sequential HRT how do you know if in full menopause ?.  (Read 1694 times)

lillith112

On sequential HRT how do you know if in full menopause ?.
« on: March 13, 2021, 09:38:31 AM »

As title says, how do you know if you are post meno if you're on sequential regime, as it gives a bleed every month ?. I've been on it for a year now, have cut my patches slightly and have awful insomnia, fatigue, joint pain and migraines  :'(

Do you just have to go cold turkey to see if your natural periods return ?.

Lillith.

Taz2

Re: On sequential HRT how do you know if in full menopause ?.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »

Most GPs will consider you to be post meno at around 53 years of age if you've been on a sequi HRT and don't know where you are at meno-wise. This means you don't have to stop HRT for a year to see if periods return before starting conti HRT which, after the initial six months, shouldn't produce a bleed. Hope that helps.  :)

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 05:48:59 PM »

The short answer is that you can't tell without stopping hrt. Most women are meno by 55 but that isn't always the case, some women aren't meno until their early 60s. Can you tell when you ovulate? IIWY I'd go back to original dose (unless you really want to suffer!).

lillith112

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 09:25:08 PM »

Thanks Taz, I've heard that after a year on sequential you can switch to continual ?. I'm just curious to see where I am. I've a feeling I'm post as when I was switched to gel which I didn't absorb, I didn't have a period for 3 months, but did soon as I went back on patches.

Sheila, my partner and I have been trying 6yrs to have a baby, had a miscarriage 4yrs ago. Before HRT I used to ovulate every month as did the LH ovulation tests, always positive each month, since being on HRT for a year I have not had one single positive ovulation test. My mum's periods stopped at age 48, same age as me now.

Lillith.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:28:26 PM by lillith112 »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 11:38:41 PM »

It's not correct that you can change to conti after a year of sequi I'm afraid and because you didn't have a period  for three months when you stopped HRT doesn't mean you are post meno. You have to be a year without periods to be considered post meno and lots of us on here have had gaps between periods of up to 8 months (11 months in my case) before periods beginning again. Most frustrating!

I'm so sorry to hear of your miscarriage.

Taz x  :hug:

lillith112

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 07:43:53 AM »

That's really interesting Taz,  as my Dr wanted me to take the utrogestan on days 1-26, it was only my research that led me to take it sequentially on days 15-26 as I thought she must have got it wrong. My utro prescription still gives those instructions.  :-\

Thanks, the miscarriage was one of the most upsetting things ever, baby was so much wanted, it was the only chance we got and we lost it.   :'(

Lillith.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »

I went on sequi HRT at age 56 as I was still having fairly regular periods and at age 58 I wanted to change to conti because the changes in hormones triggered headaches, which have always been an issue for me. The meopause clinic said I could change but said I may not yet be menopausal and may therefore experience breakthrough bleeding. I have had lots of issues with bleeding since then which may be for this reason or may be unrelated. Gynaecologists wont accept that at age 58 I could still possibily be peri.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »

Lilleth I'm so sorry. I came so close to being in the same situation so I understand the torment. Miscarriages, ivf, very, very lucky to have have a live one at 42.

lillith112

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »

Shropshirelass, I can totally believe it as my best friend had periods up to age 60  :o You sound sililar to me, I suffered horrendously from pre menstrual migraines every month, sometimes lasting 7-10 days, I still get migraines, but not as severe, but I also now get them in the middle of a cycle as well as bleed time, but I can tolerate them, before HRT I was bed bound  :-\.

Sheila, I'm so sorry to hear you have been through similar, but fantastic that you had a baby at 43, I was 44 when I had the miscarriage. 

Lillith.