Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan advice  (Read 1357 times)

mumandwife

Utrogestan advice
« on: March 13, 2021, 05:27:54 AM »

Hi,
I know if I take Utrogestan orally I take it 2hrs after dinner.   But, if I'm taking it vaginally does it have to be 2hrs after eating?

Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Also, can you mix it up and take it orally and vaginally? 

violetbat

Re: Utrogestan advice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 08:16:47 AM »

If taking vaginally it’s best to use just before bed( cos you are lying down and they won’t fall out!).
I wouldn’t do a mix of both in the same cycle simply because the absorption rates with vary  that way and you are more likely to bleed before the end of the course -which is annoying.

mumandwife

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 08:30:36 AM »

If I use it vaginally I will use 1 x 100 capsule each night for 14 days, then go off it for 14 days.
What happens if I'm spotting on the days I use it? 
When would I expect a period after stopping it after day 14?

I'm really wanting to take it orally but took the 2 caps last night and had such a bad night with bloating, nausea and horrible painful stomach cramps.  I haven't felt so ill in a long time.   I actually wondered if I had a virus or food poisoning. (no vom or diarr).

Is this a very common side effect?  I haven't seen anyone talk about it.  I just think taking the caps orally is so much easier than vaginally but now i'm too scared to try again!! 

Would it be bad if I took just 1 x 100 cap orally tonight to trial it, or would that muck up my cycle?

violetbat

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 09:01:27 AM »

Has the dr advised this dose? The usual dosage is 2x 100 for 12 days.
Personally I have found using it vaginally produces far fewer symptoms than taking it orally.
I am pretty sensitive to progesterone.
I have also found that some months are more troublesome than others.

My own cycle tends to overide the HRT so I try and sync things. If I start to bleed before the end of the course and it is a good bleed I don’t continue the course.
For example before HRT my cycles were about 21-24 days apart. When I started HRT they spaced out to come when I’d finished the utrogestan. Now they have been back to the 24 days no matter what I do with the utrogestan. It’s annoying but they have been doing this for years now.

I have tried it both ways and I don’t bleed again if I continue with the course if that makes sense.
I guess the advice would be to keep taking the utrogestan.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 09:31:17 AM »

I think you have two threads running on the same subject? I also commented yesterday that it would seem to be 200 per night for 12 days if you are following the cyclical regime as suggested by your doctor. I hope I've not muddled you up with someone else though  :-\ I believe you are changing to cyclical from continuous due to spotting. Sorry if I've misunderstood though.

The stomach problems are a known side effect. Is there a patient info leaflet with the utrogestan?

Taz x

mumandwife

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 07:52:49 PM »

Taz - Hi and thanks for your comment...

Yes my dr suggested going cyclical because when she had me on Provera continuous I was spotting for 4 months on and off.  Then I got what was like a full period.  So, I guess she just thought I should go onto cyclical.

I am 55 yrs so I'm not sure if that means I should still be trying for continuous??  I am pretty confused - I don't want periods anymore, but I don't want spotting either!!

With trying the Utrogestan the first night I took 2 x100g pills and felt so ill - but I'm still not sure if that was the pills or some 'off' food from McDonalds.  The next night (last night) i was too scared to take the 2 pills again but decided to trial taking 1 x 100 pill and see if there was an effect.  I slept like a baby :-).  I know I'm not meant to tak 1 x 100 pill but I guess tonight I'll try the 2 x 100 pills again and see if I'm ok.

I really want to be able to take the pills orally if possible - less faffing around - but I know I will do vaginally if i react to them.

Big question:  at 55yrs would it make sense for me to just try continuous again seeing that I can tolerate 1 x 100 pill each night??   
To be honest, my Dr really doesn't say much, didn't even know how much to prescribe me!! so I feel like I'm left trying to work it out myself.

What I am relieved about is since going off Provera my brain fog, woozy head has totally cleared!!! Yay!

Thanks, I appreciate your wisdom :-)

S

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 12:31:08 AM »

Yes continuous is right at your age. It takes up to six months for breakthrough bleeding to settle down so I'd give it another go.

So pleased you are feeling better  off the Provera :foryou:

Taz x  :)

mumandwife

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 01:52:00 AM »

Yes continuous is right at your age. It takes up to six months for breakthrough bleeding to settle down so I'd give it another go.

So pleased you are feeling better  off the Provera :foryou:

Taz x  :)

Thank you SO much!  I have to admit that it's been a rollercoster ride but I'm determined to find the right fit for me.  I tried the 1 x 100 capsule last night and I slept so well and feel amazing today - better than I have in a long time!

Today I feel like the spotting is becoming more like fresh blood so looks like I may have a proper bleed.  Do I just continue with the 1x 100 capsule even if the spotting turns into a proper bleed?

Thanks, I so appreciate your help.

S