Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Sudden joint pain  (Read 2066 times)

Tootsey11

Sudden joint pain
« on: March 05, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »

Has anyone had lower back pain come on out of the blue?

Last Friday afternoon my lower back started to hurt. Badly. My normal back pain is in the centre as I have 2 herniated discs T5 and T6 and 2 in neck C3 and C4.

Now the new back pain has increased to right hip pain and leg pain. My left hand and wrist has become very painful along with increased pain in left shoulder. Every day I adding in a new place that hurts. Sitting hurts, bending over I can barely straighten up, putting on socks and shoes is difficult. Sitting here typing this the pain in my leg is going down into my calf.

I'm 45, through the menopause and on patches. I've a physical job (very), and struggling.

Is this all post menopause problems or something else?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sudden joint pain
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »

Low oestrogen can cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains.

MayB consider your physical job 2 C if you can vary working positions, take time to walk round between jobs?  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is common in pregnancy so it stands to reason that hormonal upheaval may well cause pain.  Does over the counter pain relief help?

Tootsey11

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 01:03:17 PM »

Painkillers not helping. The only thing that helps is hot water bottle to area, but it just comes back after. I'm starting to think that my patches are not doing anything. My hot flushes eased a few weeks in to using them as well as I was sleeping better. Now the flushes are back and so is the interrupted sleep. Now this.

I can't change my working position as I'm constantly moving all the time. It's like doing a 6 hour workout every day. This is a pain in the arse, literally.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 01:19:01 PM »

MayB put the names of the HRT into the search box?   Some find that half a patch twice a week for example eases some symptoms, but I don't know enough about HRT to advise.  ;-) make notes ;-). 

Low VitD levels can cause problems as can thyroid function disorders. 

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 01:30:50 PM »

Tootsey....this may be way off mark but have you been checked for Lyme's?  This sounds eerily familiar to a hiker friend.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »

Lyme disease spread by sheep/deer ticks.  Usually appears after being bitten by a pale round mark which is red in the centre?  Some feel like they have 'flu initially.  It is often missed by GPs.  My dog got them in the Lake District, I would recognise the tiny spidery-critters on her pale coat. 

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 09:41:23 PM »

Hi CLKD...I was treated for Lyme's with doxy and got the tell tale rash but a hiker friend went to bed one night and woke the next day with severe pain in joints.  He could barely walk.  Ended up in ER and lo and behold Lyme's.  Howver there is another disorder..polysomethingorother which is predominant in women and those who do heavy labour.  Joint pain comes on suddenly.

Tootsie I'll see if I can find the info.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 10:06:07 PM »

Polymyealgia-rheumatica - my Mum had that.  Dad had to help her dress, it progressed over a few weeks around 1 Easter in the 1990s.  Steroids eased the inflammation. 

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 11:51:19 PM »

👍 That's it.  Thx.  I

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »

Did I spell it correctly  ;D

Tootsey11

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 02:57:33 PM »

Thank you ladies for the help. Of to google poly whatsit.

(Still sore but right leg hip and back the worst)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 03:39:11 PM »

Take some pain relief?

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »

Time to see your gp?

Iris67

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 05:38:55 PM »

I have had increasing muscle and joint pain over the years since menopause (I am 4 yrs post) and I still get new things. It all came on really quickly - quite scary really. It's everywhere and if I exert myself (other than a brisk walk) I hurt for a day or so afterwards. I've been to the doc, had a full blood count done 4 times in a year and various other tests so it must be meno. I do have Hashimoto's Thyroid and I'm not sure if that is worse or linked. Again, bloods are normal.