Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Think I'm ovulating after nearly a year!!!  (Read 1500 times)

SaraC2773

Think I'm ovulating after nearly a year!!!
« on: February 12, 2021, 06:12:22 PM »

So I've gone almost 12 months without a period.  Admittedly I'm under 50 and know that it can be two clear years before you are classed as menopausal but since last March all I've had is a couple of occasions where I've had period cramps,  one of these resulted in a days worth of spotting in September but nothing since.

I've now for the last few days had the copious egg-white dishcarge (sorry tmi) and my boobs are so sore,  they feel like they are full of milk.

Has anyone else had this?  The last few periods I did have were extremely light and I can't imagine I'd been ovulating so I'd be surprised if I was now. :-\

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar whilst going through the delightful change!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Think I'm ovulating after nearly a year!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:46:02 PM »

The Change - does what it says on the tin and throws up all kinds of anomalies.  So yes, if you've been spotting you haven't got through peri.  Yet.  1 has to be 12 months period free to consider being out the other side and into menopause ;-).

Ovaries continue grumbling away sometimes  ::)

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 08:29:26 PM »

SaraC2773, I'm in a similar situation as you. I haven't had a period since February 2020, but I haven't been spotting or ovulating so I have officially reached the menopause.  Who mentioned to you 2 years?  It's normally 12 months.

SaraC2773

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 09:31:51 PM »

Umm I thought as much.  Looks like I'll be going another 12 months then!

Karine I can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I saw something that said it's 12 months without a period if you're over 50 but 24 months if you are under.

I remember being a bit surprised as I'd not heard it before but it would have been one of the many health sites I've been on since my Health Anxiety has been running amock!  ::)

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:43:58 PM »

This means that my periods could come back as I was still 49 when I had this last period in January 2020.  I was born in October and I turned 50 in october 2020.  As I explained, I haven't had any spotting throughout the 12 months without periods,  but I'm really hoping that they won"t return despite the fact that there's chance that they might.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:49:12 AM »

Umm I thought as much.  Looks like I'll be going another 12 months then!

Karine I can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I saw something that said it's 12 months without a period if you're over 50 but 24 months if you are under.

I remember being a bit surprised as I'd not heard it before but it would have been one of the many health sites I've been on since my Health Anxiety has been running amock!  ::)

Yes if you are under 50 then it is two years before you are sure that you are post menopause. It's important that if you are sexually active you still use contraception for those two years. I got to 11 months and, like you, ovulated and then began fairly regular periods again. I was 51. Frustrating isn't it!

Taz x

befuddled

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »

Can starting HRT kick start periods after they've stopped? I was over a year with no periods, just a bit of spotting a couple of times last summer, I'm 55 now, started HRT last september, and have had a couple of periods since.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

No it doesn't kick start your natural periods but it can give you 'bleeds'  due to the adding of oestrogen which increases your womb lining. Which HRT are you on?

Taz x

befuddled

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 10:42:50 PM »

Hi Taz, i'm on estradot 50 and utrogestan 100mg 25/28.  GP put me on this as he said he couldn't be  sure that i was post-meno, and if i wasn't then the  3 days off the utrogestan would allow a bleed if my body needed it, in which case maybe i should take it 200mg for 12 days instead.  But if adding oestrogen also causes a bleed, then how do i know if what i'm having are periods or hrt-induced bleeds?

I just think i'm getting the hang of all this and then i get confused again!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 11:12:22 PM by befuddled »

KittyBee

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 11:21:21 PM »

I can't remember the last time I had a period - I know I've not had one since lockdown started. However, a couple of weeks ago, I felt like I was about to ovulate, and then about 10 days later, I had a tiny amount of pink spotting. I have just turned 48, so I guess I need to wait another 12 months before I consider myself menopausal.

I didn't know about the 24 months rule if you are under 50 either. Very confusing!

SaraC2773

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »

KittyBee that sounds like me and I turn 48 next month!

I went from March through to Sept with nothing then had quite bad cramps and about a days worth of very light spotting.  I've had nothing since but it definitely feels like my body is trying to ovulate and my boobs are killing me.  I expect something with happen over the next couple of weeks and then the 12 months will start again.

KittyBee

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 11:34:43 AM »

I didn't have sore boobs, but I did have very mild cramps before a tiny amount of spotting. I fully expected to get my period and then...nothing.

Oh well. *resets the menopause timer again*  ;D