Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT and Vertigo  (Read 2450 times)

Lamplighter

HRT and Vertigo
« on: January 14, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »

Hi everyone, this is my first proper post (cue fanfare).

Have been messing about with all sorts of different forms of HRT for two years now (since my original HRT was discontinued end 2018).  I developed vertigo suddenly end of 2017 and following the incidence of my attacks since then in relation to my use of HRT, I wondered if there wasn't a correlation between the two.  I haven't been able to conclusively prove it, but I have suspicions.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and was able to pinpoint HRT as being the catalyst, or at least contributing to increasing attacks?  Not menopause itself causing it, but actual HRT in whatever form.

I've searched vertigo posts, there are a few - 11 pages in fact - most of which I've skimmed, but I have probably missed quite a lot, hence my direct question.  I do note that Utrogestan (never heard of this before) surfaced in a few posts as potentially causing vertigo, so any and all ideas greatly appreciated  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and Vertigo
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 04:49:55 PM »

:welcomemm:  I had vertigo following heavy head colds.  Awful!  I would wake in the morning and B4 I opened my eyes, I knew  :-X

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

I have a nerve which catches when I turn my head which can make me feel woozy  :o.

MayB put the name of your HRT into the search box to see what pops up.

Lamplighter

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 05:54:24 PM »

Thanks CLKD.  Vertigo no fun is it?

Flan747

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 06:04:22 PM »

Hi lamplighter
How weird! I was hospitalised with vertigo about 3 months before I was suddenly hit with peri symptoms! Never had it since so not sure it is related to menopause ? I couldn’t move my head without actually being sick, I couldn’t even stand ! Not nice and I do sympathise with you

Lamplighter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:27:04 PM »

Hello Flan, ack to being hospitalised, that must have been horrendous.  So glad you don't have it anymore. 

My attacks are pretty low key these days what with my having all sorts of stuff in place to keep it under control, but sitting/standing up with head upright is the only thing that stops the spinning when I have an attack.  I'm still partly convinced that HRT (or hormones per se) are somehow responsible, if not for causing it in the first place, then keeping it going and making it more intense than it might otherwise be. 

Call it grasping at straws!  One lives in hope, always, of finding cures for all these different things.

CrispyChick

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 06:44:26 PM »

Hi. I can't comment on the HRT specifically but I'm 99% sure my vertigo was caused by hormones.

This was the real crashing start for me in peri... Vertigo, nausea avd really ill. Had every test under the sun including mri and ct scans and 24 hr blood pressure monitor. All clear.

I'm still struggling with peri, but not so much the vertigo now, thank god. But in my many trials I have tried many combined pills (because I am only 44)...some brought dizziness and the first one brought back the original vertigo.

So yes, l truely believe it is hormones.

Mine all started 8 weeks after stopping a high dose herb which had successfully cured my bad pmt, but gave me migraines. I think I overloaded and offset my system. Been struggling ever since.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »

Herbs can be dangerous.

There are specific methods to reset the inner ear which may stop vertigo.  An ENT appt. would be necessary. 

Flan747

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:32 PM »

It really does sound like my vertigo episode was the start of this never ending peri! I have just posted  about maybe stopping HRT as after so long nothing seems to suit! Maybe need to do a re set and see where I am?
Wishing you all luck on this rollercoaster of symptoms

Lamplighter

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:08 PM »

Hello Belle, now that is interesting about vitamin A - tends to support the notion that all sorts of things that we put in our bodies can have totally unexpected negative effects.  I always think of supplements as innocuous can't do you any harm so may as well give 'em a try - not so, as CLKD points out.  I'm so glad you got rid of the vertigo, it really is a bad thing to have. 

Flan, I'm so sorry you're having to think about stopping HRT (I was with you on that one half way through 2019 and again recently, kept having such problems finding a product that worked that I spat the dummy and decided to stop.  Unfortunately every symptom that I'd already experienced first time around plus a few new ones decided to turn up again).  Mind you it may be no bad thing to do a reset as you say, just to see what's what and gauge just how intolerable the symptoms are.  Having said that, it is taking me ages to get the estrogen levels up again and I'm concerned I've done damage in the meantime (joints and muscles amongst other things).  Good luck whatever you decide.

Crispy Chick, I'm sorry to hear you had such adverse reactions that kick started your peri.  It's not exactly one of the more common symptoms so you wouldn't know what the heck was going on would you?  I'm pretty much in agreement with you that hormones are somehow involved, regardless of whether the vertigo is the ubiquitous (and one trick pony diagnosis of ENTs and the like) BPPV, or something else.  You got to wonder though which hormones, and what levels?  I've researched and researched (as you do, given that three plus years is plenty long enough to get the googling down pat) but found very little in the way of concrete findings regarding causes/catalysts for vertigo.  Lots of speculation and supposition...