Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D-Mannose and uti  (Read 3139 times)

Postmeno3

D-Mannose and uti
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:59:09 AM »

Hi,
Can anyone clarify whether this product is most useful for prevention, i.e. taking routinely or for treating a uti once it has started? I worry about routine usage eventually affecting efficacy? What about dosage? Any recommended UK brands or available in the UK? Nice to see it referred to in NHS and NICE guidelines!
Thanks in advance.
😀

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: D-Mannose and uti
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:11 AM »

Firstly - do you have an infection?  You need to take a fresh urine sample to the GP to send to a Lab. for testing.

Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the Forum.  Make notes  ;)

I have no knowledge of the product but do know that appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment can ease symptoms. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 09:34:43 AM »

No infection at the moment, but had one very recently though clear on testing after flushing out with lots and lots of water. Two dipstick tests were cleared by surgery. You could be right about atrophy being the issue and I'm addressing that, but D-Mannose has great claims about addressing urinary tract imbalances which assist infections.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »

Dip stick tests, sorry, aren't worth doing.  Every sample should be sent to a Lab.

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »

Sadly, the practice at my surgery is if the dipstick is clear, nothing further is deemed necessary.......
🙄

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »

Have a word with the Practice Manager?  It's about cost cutting perhaps especially at this time of the year. 

I find that when my bladder nips that 2 Nurofen every 3/4 hours for 3 days eases it.   There mayB threads about D-Mannose on here - have a 'search'. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 01:18:12 PM »

Good tips! Thanks!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 01:36:29 PM »

Let me know how you get on.

Postmeno3

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »

Loads of very positive commenting in the search. 👍

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »

That's good. Gives 1 hope?

lillith112

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 07:14:25 AM »

I use D-mannose as soon as I feel like a uti might come on, mainly after my partner and I have been intimate.
I suffered terribly with uti like symptoms, it got unbearable when I had to switch from patches to gel, I didn't absorb it. Once back on the patches it improved in a few days with the help of D-Mannose. I got mine from Amazon, flat white container with blue writing on, I'll have to look up the make, it has good reviews. x

Postmeno3

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 07:35:15 AM »

Thanks so much. So you restrict it to these times, acutely, rather than preventatively? I think it's a massively understated remedy. I hope others benefit.
x
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:23:26 PM by Postmeno3 »

lillith112

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 09:32:20 PM »

Hi, yes I start using it as soon as I feel any uti symptoms, especially after being intimate with my partner as this is a typical flare for me. I guess you could take it as a preventative,  but I prefer this way as don't like taking too many supplements. 

Lillith.

Postmeno3

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »

I'm inclined to agree. Really appreciate this support. I'm guessing a very low maintenance dose could be okay and then use generously at intimacy times. I'm also looking into a low alkaline diet. It would be great to hear from others on this regime. Thanks so much again.

Shannonplussed

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 01:54:37 AM »

Alkaline diet is quackery. Your body has extensive buffering systems in place to keep things at the optimal pH. You cannot change this with diet and you wouldn’t want to.
Pages: [1] 2