Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Could this just be perimenopause? So fed up!  (Read 999 times)

pricey

Could this just be perimenopause? So fed up!
« on: December 27, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »

Hi ladies,

So I'm still waiting for my hysteroscopy in a few weeks. The heavy bleeding has eased and I have had two cyclical bleeds preceded by headaches, low mood etc. These were much, much lighter but dragged on for over two weeks, meaning I only really had a week in between before it started again. I stopped HRT in August after being on it 5 years and nothing really suiting me. I'm nearly 56. I have now been bleeding lightly for 15 days, some days barely anything. I know this could be the suspected cervical polyp seen on my scan (hence the upcoming hysteroscopy) but the bleeds the last two months have both been preceded by premenstrual symptoms and have included cramps. The bleeding the last four or five days looked like a period getting ready to stop but then I started to feel very low and headachey with quite a few hot flushes. Yesterday evening the bleeding kicked in again (although not heavy) and I have cramps. I woke feeling very hot several times.  It feels like another period has started. Could this be normal late-perimenopause triggered by stopping HRT? The doctor referred me for hysteroscopy non urgently, although I doubt she expected me to have to wait four months. I'm worried something more is going on but my instincts also tell me this is hormonal. I felt so out of sorts yesterday! I feel really low, tearful and agitated a lot of the time.  I am utterly sick of bleeding or spotting. I have good coping mechanisms but feel I'm covering up well for how miserable I feel. I work full time and I'm struggling with that, especially as I was recently very anaemic. I just want to hide away!
The doctor didn't feel she wanted to try any hormones until after the hysteroscopy. I feel I have just been stuck on one regime then another with no real investigation into what I might need or be lacking. I have thought about trying a course of utrogestan to see if that helps  - I have loads left. I feel at the end of my tether and abandoned because I'm on a waiting list in the midst of Covid,  etc.
Sorry about the long moan! Can anyone help?  :(

Uptick

Re: Could this just be perimenopause? So fed up!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »

Sorry to hear you're having so many symptoms after stopping HRT. You can still be perimenopausal or this could be HRT withdrawal syndrome. I agree with your doctor, adding more hormones now could increase symptoms or interfere with the hysteroscopy results. You say  you have good coping mechanisms so hang in there, you'll get the answers you need after the hysteroscopy.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 09:36:57 PM »

It sounds to be as though you're still peri rather than meno. Many women are over 55 when they reach meno, some are in their early 60s. If you have all the symptoms of a period it's more than likely that's what it is. Do you have a thickened lining? Given how long you have to wait if it was me I'd use the utro (this isn't advice, just what I would do).

pricey

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »

Hello Uptick and Sheila,  thanks for replying. My lining was fine according to the scan. I usually tolerate utrogestan quite well - wondering how it would be without oestrogen. Would alternate days be a plan? I'm wondering too if progesterone might help shrink polyps if present as I know oestrogen can encourage their growth? I will hold out with nothing if possible!
 :o x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »

As your lining is thin and you're not on oestrogen I'll withdraw the suggestion to use your utrogeston. I hope you don't have too long to wait.