Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reaction to Vagifem or needing more?  (Read 1806 times)

Patchsmama

Reaction to Vagifem or needing more?
« on: December 04, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »

So sorry to ask yet another VA related question!  I've been struggling on and off for almost 4 weeks now, started with vagifem mid-July and seemed to be doing okay, less symptoms of burning and feeling like I needed to have a wee frequently.  However, recently, the burning has returned and the feeling of needing to go to the loo.  It's been miserable.  I spoke to my GP a couple of days ago and he thinks that twice weekly Vagifem isn't enough so has put me up to 3 times a week.  I did ask him whether he thinks I'm reacting to the Vagifem as I think it may be worse the day after inserting it.  He didn't think it was a reaction but said he couldn't rule it out, suggesting to try the increased dose and see what happened after 2 months. I know that, if it is still VA, it could take time before the increased dose works.   He did say I could try something else if I still had problems, something that had been trialled in Germany!.  I'm guessing cream? 

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has felt like this.  How do you tell the difference between a reaction and needing more local oestrogen.  Feeling miserable and just want life to not focus around this.  Sorry :-( 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reaction to Vagifem or needing more?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »

Sometimes it can sting a bit, usually because the vagina needs more of the product.  I would use every night for 5, some ladies occasionally need two applications at once - it's a bit Trial and Error until we find out what keeps the vagina happy ;-)

Patchsmama

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »

Thanks so much for responding CLKD.  I don't know what us ladies would do without you on here.  You need to write a book for us.  You've been so kind, every time I put up a query, you take time to give a sensible answer.  Thank you  :-*

So would you say it is more a VA problem than a reaction to the Vagifem?  I know I need to give it a fair go at working, just want to feel better

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:05:00 PM »

The book has been writttttt ........ by Mary Jane "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" : there's a thread, I'll go look ;-)

Bounced it!

I would think it's likely to be lack of 'vagifem' though some do have reactions to the capsule or the fillers.  Give the vagina an extra couple of nights then you can judge if there's improvement.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:07:12 PM by CLKD »

Patchsmama

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 01:09:49 PM »

Thanks so much. Xx

silverstar

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »

Hi there,
I have had a reaction to both vagifem and Ovestin cream. It started with the Ovestin after several years, so I switched to vagifem. The burning stopped after quitting the Ovestin, I had a few pain free days then started the vagifem. Okay for 2 days but then it started and got worse with each daily dose, after 9 days I stopped and all fine again mostly. Just a small amount of discomfort now which is probably because I need something! I would say if the discomfort is considerably worse the next day after using the vagifem but gradually gets better between doses, then it’s the vagifem causing problems.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:23:17 PM by silverstar »

Patchsmama

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »

Thank you Silverstar. It’s so hard knowing what’s what.  If it was a reaction, why has it taken months before it’s occurred but, like you say, when it’s worse the day after using ........  just not fair 😩

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 04:32:07 PM »

Initially when I started with 'ovestin' I felt the need to pee more the next day to the extent I didn't go anywhere.  After 2 months of regular insertion, those feelings settled.  PHEW.

TnToast

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 04:53:15 PM »

How strange...

I too have been wondering if the treatments I have tried have caused a reaction or whether it is the condition itself...

I was prescribed the oestrogen cream Gynest a few years ago and after initial relief from dryness and soreness it then got worse and became very inflamed. After stopping the cream I felt a bit better and tried to manage with moisturisers but this year became unbearably sore.

So I tried Vagifem. After the first day I felt a bit better but then the discharge it creates for me caused me to feel really sore again and after a few days I had to stop it.

Now I'm using Ovestin - same story: initial relief followed by worsening of symptoms again. I have now asked to try Estring (you can search for it on here). Apparently as it has no fillers it is less likely to cause a reaction so if you are having problems that could be an option for you. However my GP said the practice can't prescribe it and I would have to be referred to a Gynae who might.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 05:46:04 PM »

Give the Surgery a ring and Aask to be referred to a Menopause Clinic.  Ours are open until 6.30 for appts/phone calls and later for 'flu jabs so yours may be the same?

silverstar

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 07:11:04 PM »

Tntoast, you can get estring online if necessary, it may be along wait to be referred right now. I have seen it for £40.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »

I would up your dose as if skin is inflamed the residue could be making it worse. How far are you inserting them? I had a dodgy batch in the Summer and the residue was irritating me, they didn't click when i used them so don't think they were being fired right!

TnToast

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »

Thanks for that Silverstar  :)  I was worried about the wait ...

Dierdre

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 11:26:19 PM »

As you've been ok with vagifem since July, it sounds more likely you need to increase the dosage, i could never nmmanage on 2 per week.

Patchsmama

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 09:12:54 AM »

I would up your dose as if skin is inflamed the residue could be making it worse. How far are you inserting them? I had a dodgy batch in the Summer and the residue was irritating me, they didn't click when i used them so don't think they were being fired right!

Thanks Tinkerbell. To be honest, I thought that the burning and needing to see feeling is worse on the day that the chalky residue comes out. Sorry tmi!  Though I’m starting to wonder how much my head is telling me this!  I’m getting so miserable with it now, I sort of feel like I have taken clue what I’m doing. When I’ve looked, I can’t really see inflammation on the outer bits and I don’t really feel dry. Just the burning and needing the loo feeling.
Pages: [1] 2