Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Covid, T-Cells and Vitamin D  (Read 1588 times)

Sparrow

Covid, T-Cells and Vitamin D
« on: December 04, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »

Very interesting article in the BMJ.  It goes a little way to explaining why some have a serious Covid infection and others not.

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563/rr-6

Ju Ju

Re: Covid, T-Cells and Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:16:37 AM »

Interesting. I’ve been taking D3 supplements for years and my levels have been good according to blood tests. I rarely catch respiratory infections, despite being in contact with them, which is just as well as I have made rather too much of them, requiring hospitalisation with asthmatic complications. I put my good fortune down to working with young children, but maybe not then. I had heard that people with darker skins in colder countries suffer more from covid 19 because they have low levels of D3.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »

I read a lot of marvelous stuff about vit D when I was low in it, and now there are lots of sceptics about now who are rubbishing it.

However, it is the only vitamin supplement I have ever taken (apart from iron when I was anaemic) which has made a noticeable difference. It is needed in your body system that makes use of thyroxin, and that regulates everything.  I was in a situation where I knew I wasn't depressed, but mentally I just couldn't be Rsed about stuff.  It helped with that within 6 weeks and it made a difference to my aches and pains (I used to go to bed to lie flat because it hurt my neck to hold my head up to read).

So I can see only good in keeping it topped up.  I have tried going out in the sun more but I think that is having negative effects on my skin which is the freckly sort.

You need to make sure you are getting enough magnesium, zinc, boron and K2 in your diet to support it, so that is a good thing too.  I think anything that gets you interested in healthy eating and exercise is good around menopause.  It is a difficult time for many and it is easy to fall into short term comforting ways.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »

Hello ladies.

Doctors in Spain and India have found that supplementing with Vitamin D was  hugely beneficial for COVID patients. Amazing to think that people in Spain and India were found to be deficient.
Keep taking the tablets ladies!

Wishing everyone well.

K.

milly

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 03:29:07 PM »

My daughter lived in UAE and many people including her,were deficient in vit D, mainly due to the sun being too hot to sit/ walk out in, and because of that, they are always covered up.
The medics advised a supplement for her and most people she knew there.

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »

Yes, we tend to be deficient in northern climes because there is not enough sun, yet in other countries they are deficient because there is too much sun  :sunny: :sunny: ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »

Another problem is suncream, especially the high factors.

I now have to use factor 30 all year round.