Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Low iron levels  (Read 899 times)

Nairn

Low iron levels
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:15:32 PM »

Hello everyone. 

I have just had my blood tests back and my iron level is at the low end of the range 34 on a scale of 24-246.  Whilst it is in range, and the GP was not concerned, I wonder if anyone has any experience with this, and wonder if an iron supplement might help with my very sore muscles & joints, especially in my legs and general tiredness and feeling rubbish?  Also any recommendations for the best 'gentle' supplement which won't cause me to get horribly constipated. I take a good quality multi vitamin (Solgar V2000) & a meno supplement.  I already take HRT but the muscle aches and joint pains have become a lot worse - all other tests normal.  I'm vegetarian and allergic to fish and shellfish, so can't take some supplements.  Thanks for your wisdom!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 05:17:36 PM by Nairn »

Shannonplussed

Re: Low iron levels
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »

My ferritin was 11. Dr recommended me to take ferrous fumarate. Research shows it’s slightly more effective to take it every second day, rather than daily. Take it alongside vitamin C, whether that’s juice or a tablet. Take it a couple of hours before or after other medicines/supplements/dairy/caffeine, because it can bind with them making the iron unavailable. It was hard to find a perfect time so I set mine in the bathroom and would take it, with a vitamin C, when I got up for a middle of the night bathroom trip.

Nairn

Re: Low iron levels
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:42:11 PM »

Thanks Shannonplussed, that’s really helpful