Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Lining 4.04mm  (Read 2068 times)

Stargazer

Lining 4.04mm
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »

I have had what the Consultant is calling post menopausal bleeding after 11 months with no bleed. It was definitely a full period.  They sent me for a scan where the lining was 4.04mm and today have taken a womb biopsy. 

I was told the normal lining is up to 4mm so 4.04mm is not normal.  Cervix was normal, scan was normal and bloods were normal.  I have to now wait 2 weeks for the result of the biopsy.  With such a low number should I be that worried?

Cassie

Re: Lining 4.04mm
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 12:09:19 PM »

No that doesnt sound worrying at all.

Stargazer

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »

she suggested that is the results are ok we might use a mirena coil but unfortunately synthetic hormones don't usually suit me and make me depressed.  Would you want a hysterectomy just in case this causes cancer in the future - huge worry to me as I have a 2 year old daughter

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:36:05 AM »

I would not be so drastic at this stage. See what they suggest and try not to lose heart.  It's really worrying I know but I'm sure it will get sorted.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »

0.04mm sounds a tiny bit pedantic to me  ???

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »

There is nothing magical about the number 4, it isn't that everything's fine if it's 4.0 but not if it's 4.0001. I doubt the measuring is very accurate anyway. Personally I wouldn't worry but if it bothers you you could get a private scan in a year just to check. The risk from a  hysterectomy op is likely to be higher than a measurement very slightly too thick. At 11 months you're still peri not meno and in peri the thickness changes with your hormones.

Stargazer

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »

My Consultant said that the number wasn't important if it is over 4mm they are concerned.  Think I want a hysterectomy. i have had 5 hysteroscopies 3 for biopsies to check lining for abnormal cells 2 for ablation that didn't work, two lots of Prostap for heavy bleeding and now post menopausal bleeding have been worried about cancer too many times. 

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »

I really feel for you..  I don't feel able to advise, maybe others have more knowledge on here.  Just want to wish you well cos you sound like you're having a really tough time.  X

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »

My lining was 5mm and they wanted to do a hysteroscopy and biopsy. I am on HRT. I refused without sedation as I get really anxious. I had a follow up appointment and the dr said that 4mm is a cut off point, it used to be larger and the risk was very small at such a small increase. Good luck with the results.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »

Stargazer - I would not be worried at all!

Hope the results come through soon. The docs are doing things absolutely according to the letter of the guidelines to ensure no-one slips through the net but cacner/abnormal cells are normally only found in properly thickened linings. If you have been 11 months without a period then you are not strictly post-menopausal anyway. Also to some extent depends on your age.

In the meantime do try not to worry!

Hurdity x

Stargazer

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 12:27:00 PM »

Thank you all - am trying not to worry but bleeding has started again today.  Also wondering if there is an increase in unopposed Oestrogen (less Progesterone around because I am post menopausal) and that increased Oestrogen is causing the lining to thicken could it also be putting me at risk of breast cancers as well?

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:47:21 PM »

Surely if your progesterone has decreased so would you oestrogen, if you are not taking HRT, I really would not worry, it sounds like normal peri symptoms to me.

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 12:29:33 AM »

I would have thought most women would reach a phase where their ovaries are being stimulated and oestrogen is being produced, but there is no ovulation taking place and therefore no progesterone.  It makes sense.

Denise Didi

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 09:20:30 AM »

Hi stargazer re the mirena coil I got one last year reluctantly as I was worried it would make me depressed. I suffered from pmdd. and menopause  just made it worse. The coil did help but rough couple of months with bleeding before it settled. I am also on tostran which has helped with mood and energy levels.
Didi