Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: digestive, abdomen pain and supplements  (Read 1976 times)

Coogee

digestive, abdomen pain and supplements
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »

Hi. Please can anyone share tips, advice, reassurance please as like a lot of ladies i am feeling adrift and worried which I know isn't helping.

4 or 5 months ago I started getting a pain always located in lower right abdomen, this is constant but varies from really bad to nippy but always there. Sometimes but not often I have also had pain in my waist/side but that comes and goes. I have had a TV ultrasound which showed no abnormalities (phew) and general blood tests came back OK too. However, the pain remains and us dragging me down. I am also wondering if I am taking too many supplements. I had bloating for a long time but since taking magnesium and sometimes ACV that is better. In an attempt to reduce the pain I am now also taking a probiotic, digestive supplement, milk thistle, a small amou y of prune juice and macha tea. Am I making matter worse?

Gross bit warning...BM is once a day but softer than I would have had, not runny but takes some cleaning (sorry). Peeing seems fine, occasionally more frequent but not often.

I guess I am most worried as the pain is always in the same place. HA kicking in. Have a telephone call appt with GP but that isn't for days and I am struggling.

Gnatty

Re: digestive, abdomen pain and supplements
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:17:23 AM »

Good morning Coogee,

I imagine someone will be along soon more knowledgeable than me but I do know that magnesium softens BM as does prune juice and I imagine ACV too so not surprising you are noticing an effect. It's a lot of supplements for sure, but I don't know enough to advise either way.

I don't know the answer to the pain, I think people with IBS have symptoms like that? As an aside I don't suppose you could have pulled a muscle?

Its frustrating you have to wait to speak to your GP, I understand the anxiety when waiting - the only thing that works for me is to keep as busy as possible. It's when I sit down that worries creep in. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »

Morning.  Too much! how will you know what may be working/not?

Keeping a note of your daily food/liquid intake may be of use.  Everything, even that small piece of cheese when you open the fridge door 4 the milk  ;). Adding more fruits and veg during the day is more 'natural' than supplements - you don't know what the fillers might be.

Has the pain become any worse?  It could be a bruised muscle or trapped nerve.  I get it sometimes and it clears after a few hours/days so I no longer think that it's serious. 

I have cleaning problems sometimes  ::).  My movements vary from slow transit to fast  :o - no pain though so I don't worry. 

Pare back on the supplements?

Catcc

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »

Hi

I totally sympathise.  I've had IBS since 1988 so know how that knid of abdominal/bowel discomfort affects everyday life.  Your doctor is definitely the person to diagnose this, but if it does turn out to be IBS, don't worry, there are ways to manage it. Your doctor really should examine you though to be sure it's not anything else (appendix etc).  Have other things already been ruled out?

If it does turn out to be IBS, GPs aren't always the best at finding solutions.  They usually prescribe fybogel or laxido and an anti spasmodic, and tell you to eat more fibre.  But that doesn't suit everyone.   My IBS symptoms changed with menopause and last year I started to have exactly the same issues with BM and bloating as you.  Someone on this forum recommend a book "IBS Solutions" by Dr John Hunter.  After 30 years of living with IBS and trying everything, this book is by far the best thing I've bought!  I highly recommend it to anyone with IBS or constipation etc.

Re all the supplements, I take probiotics from optibac.  I find some supplements have fillers/bulking agents in them that irritate my digestion so I have to be careful which companies I use.  Magnesium is a great supplement, but if you have bowel issues some forms of magnesium can aggravate things.  Magnesium bisglycinate is fine for me.

Re the BM issue, the thing that helps me, which I found out about from the book, is golden flaxseed, whole and soaked overnight.  Also a few prunes (but not too many!!).   It's a fine balancing act getting the right things in the right quantities.  And what suits me might not suit someone else.

Let us know what your doctor says.  Thinking of you.  I know how you're feeling. X
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:38:45 AM by Catcc »

Catcc

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 10:42:03 AM »

Agree with birdy.  Worth looking into.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 11:24:57 AM »

I was diagnosed with IBS in 1991 - bloating, nausea, unable to eat. My digestive system had all but stopped, i.e. slow transit  >:(.  My GP gave me medications which really did help, within 3 days I felt well again though it took 3 months to sort out what I required  ::)

Slow transit is my biggest problem, usually on days that we are going out early  >:(

Coogee

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »

Thanks for your help. I've not had the easiest menopause and this is another phase it seems. Hot flushes out, pain in  ::).

Catcc

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »

So true re stress.  That book I mentioned has a whole section on it and helpful breathing exercises.