Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: late menopause and bleeding  (Read 2468 times)

Grheliz1

Re: late menopause and bleeding
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 08:51:13 PM »

:) thank you

pricey

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:11 AM »

I can relate to so much in this topic. I've posted a few times, but to cut a long story short, I will be 56 in January. I came off HRT over a few months (March to August) as with continuing periods I wanted to see where I was. In July I started bleeding and didnt really stop. I have not had bleeding after sex over the course of recent months and it has always felt like a withdrawal bleed/my own kicking in - occasionally synced. August I finished HRT completely. The bleeding ranged from spotting to mega flooding with lots of big clots.  I was eventually given norethisterone (I still spotted on this) and had just come off this and started another very heavy bleed when I had my scan. Lining was ok, a couple of small fibroids identified but not thought to be the cause. Something was visualised in my cervix. My GP said "definitely not sinister", looked like a polyp which could account for bleeding. I explained to her that when I got home after the scan I passed a very large clot (sorry, TMI) and she said this could have been what was seen in my cervix and was "even less concerned". I have been referred to a gynaecologist. Amazingly,  no bleeding or spotting for almost two weeks but very light this morning after sex. I'm now worried this may be the polyp, or am thinking it could be a bleed as my breasts have been tender the last two days. I have no idea where I would be in my cycle. I suppose it remains to be seen and I just need to wait it out. Either way I'm anxious. A bleeding polyp or periods still in my late fifties.  :-\  I am low generally and feel increasingly despondent. I was hoping it wasn't a polyp and I would be able to ask to see the gynaecological first rather going straight to hysteroscopy which is what I suspect will happen.

It's reassuring to not feel so alone and any advice is appreciated. (Oh, and by the way, I'm a Shropshire lass born and bred!)

X
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:10:07 AM by pricey »

Grheliz1

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »

It is reassuring to know we're not alone, pricey, isn't it!

I'll update tomorrow when I have my hysteroscopy, though there mightn't be much to say before the next biopsy results come in.

Sparrow

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »

Pircey, if you are still having period at 56 it is unlikely to be a proper cycle. 

You may go weeks or month between bleeds..

I had years of this.  :(

Grheliz1

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »

Hi everyone

Back from my hysteroscopy and biopsies, which I managed with some over-the-counter co-codamal. Perhaps because I'd had a hysteroscopy & D&C seven weeks earlier the cervix was more amenable, or that's what the gynaecologist thought. So not as bad as I thought it might be. I have a tilted uterus, too. Just a few period-like cramps now. She said that any pain might be because she wasn't taking the right route in and it was important to tell her so she could adjust direction.

She found another polyp, albeit small. If the biopsies show only typical hyperplasia I might be able to have a mirena, otherwise it's probably a hysterectomy, which wouldn't come as a big surprise, given the previous biopsy results taken last time. But there's always a chance, I suppose.

They were all lovely and because the clinic was quiet, there was plenty of opportunity to talk about the options.

Thanks for all the support. It really helped.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:29:01 AM by Grheliz1 »

KarineT

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »

For me it's the complete opposite.  I turned 50 in October last but I haven't had a period since January this year and it doesn't look like my periods will come back but I may be wrong.  I am not on HRT btw.  I am surprised to find out that one can still be peri in the late 50s but it looks like it can happen.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2020, 08:11:08 PM »

Fingers crossed for your biopsy results Grheliz, well done on getting through it. If I have to have a biopsy I'm having it under a general anaesthetic which ahas agreed as the they could remove anything that was there. I know this is really not the best way to do it but my anxiety wont allow me to do it without the GA, though I'm also petrified of having a GA!

Hi fellow Shropshirelass Pricey, I hope you get to see the gnaecologist. I was lucky that I was able to voice my concerns and was reassured that although delaying was not risk free it was only very low risk.

Grheliz1

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 09:15:08 PM »

I think you can trust yourself to know what’s best for you, Shropshire. The gynaecologist told me how very different the experience is for different women.

pricey

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 06:53:25 AM »

Hi ladies.  Thanks for your support. Grheliz1, I hope all goes well for you. My light bleeding after intercourse resolved so I'm thinking this might be the polyp although I've never had that before. For the 3 months before the extended bleeding I had three 'normal' months. This small bleed coincided with low mood, tender breasts, and occurred a month after the withdrawal bleed from norethisterone started, so I'm guessing it was possibly hormonal? I don't think my body knows where it is. Something to monitor, but I'm.awaiting ny gynae appointment anyway. My anxiety is through the roof generally with stress at work etc. All in all, my confidence has ebbed away and I'm struggling.

X

KarineT

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 09:37:08 AM »

Pricey, how long have you been feeling like this?  Are you on HRT and what stage of the menopause are you at?  If you are post meno were you have these problems during peri and meno?

pricey

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 06:55:07 AM »

Hi Karine,

I came off HRT completely in August. My GP doesn't want me to go back on until after I've seen the gynaecologist.

I'm doing ok with most symptoms apart from debilitating anxiety but I know a lot of this is work related issues adding to my perimenopause symptoms. I'm not entirely sure where I am but certainly not post menopausal yet.

I've been waking at 4am with a knot in my stomach for 2-3 weeks now..I just want to hide away not face work  :'(

X

Grheliz1

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »

pricey, thanks for the good wishes. I'm sorry you are going through this. It seems that a lot of us have to face horrible physical and emotional symptoms just as work/elderly parents/young adult children present big issues for us. I don't know how we manage sometimes, I really don't. 
Pages: 1 [2]