Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: very sore vulval skin  (Read 4651 times)

TnToast

very sore vulval skin
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:59:57 PM »

Does anyone have any advice on how to calm inflamed skin in the vulval area?

I am 7 years post meno, have VA and have suffered with this for years. Recently it got worse. I have tried using YES VM to moisturise and Hydromol to act as a barrier to protect the skin and had a bit of relief after using a bit of  1%Hydrocortisone ointment for a few days. However I have now started Vagifem and have a slight discharge which is aggravating the skin again....It is SO sore and uncomfortable.

Is there anything I can do or is it a case of waiting (possibly months :() for the Vagifem to have an effect? I have seen a cream called Olive and Bee mentioned on here but at £24 for 50ml I can't afford to use that regularly!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: very sore vulval skin
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:03:03 PM »

OK - It may take a while to ease VA symptoms so keep up with the 'vagifem' - 2 weeks then as often as required, some need it nightly.  Use one product on the outer labia, perineum and anus.  Maybe ask 4 'ovestin' for that or Sudacrem ....... Vaseline ........ KY Jelly .  1% Hydrocortisone shouldn't be used for very long, twice a day for 5 ........ what ever you decide upon, use it often, every hour if necessary and certainly prior to inserting the 'vagifem'.

Do read the VA and bladder issues threads here.

Because the skin in that area mayB thin it will sting a bit! 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:05:05 PM by CLKD »

TnToast

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »

Thanks for that CLKD...perhaps I am messing about with too many things at once.....

I used estriol cream a few years ago but had to stop as it irritated and made things worse -  but I am not sure if it was the cream itself or the fact that it was so messy that caused the irritation. Maybe it would be different if I used that or the one you mentioned outside only.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »

Try something simple: I get on OK with KY Jelly but any product that's OK for a baby should be OK.  Vaseline - Gran always used cuticura ointment  ::).  Pat dry, don't rub. 

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:41:31 PM »

Hi tntoast...HANG IN THERE.  Vagifem takes a long time so be patient.  You will get better.  Your vulva has several nerve endings.  Vagifem starts to "wake up" those nerves and will cause a harsh stinging and rawness.  This is your body reacting to the estrogen being reintroduced into the vagina.  Many of us have been through hell and eventually have come out the other side.  I use Vagifem plus estrogen cream 5 times a week for over a year and finally have reached about 90% better.  I would also recommend, as CLKD mentioned, Ovestin cream for external use.  Good luck and keep it up. 

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »

As CLKD says, the Vagifem could take some time to improve things but I would persevere with it if you can.  I found Yes VM made matters worse & though many women on here seem to find it helps, others have posted it didn't suit them either.  The Yes WB may be less irritant if you don't want to add more topical oestrogen at present but I find it thin & messy to use.  I use Vagifem 5 nights a week with the 0.01% Estriol cream sparingly externally & the cream has made a big difference to comfort, but topical products are not enough for me - I need systemic HRT as well to manage the VA (& other symptoms).  Do you have any in date Estriol left you could try sparingly on the vulva?  I don't find that messy applied thinly. 

Sorry to repeat what's been said: was posting at same time as Whatsup!

TnToast

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »

Thanks so much for your replies.

I do find Yes VM soothing and put a bit of that in before using the first Vagifem. However now I have a new issue! I feel a tiny bit less sore (put lots of hydromol on to protect skin) but I now have a lot of thin yellow/pale brown discharge. Had to use pad for first time in years. Just had a look and skin down there looks even redder... Is all this usual with Vagifem or is it not right for me?

Has anyone else experienced the discharge? Is it just part of the adjustment process?

Panicking in case I'm making things worse.... :(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 07:36:02 PM »

Dont' panic.  What goes up etc., ;-). It could be a small bleed from the womb or a tear in the vaginal wall, keep an eye and if you are concerned or there is a smell ask the Practice Nurse to do a swab in case of infection. 

Some creams are coloured which we don't notice on application.  Keep an eye ..........

mandss

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 11:34:14 AM »

I had a similar experience, even hurt to sit down. My GP told me to try a barrier cream/nappy cream and to add some bicarbonate of soda to my bath. Both helped. Good luck.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 12:19:54 PM »

Full of great ideas, us are  ;). How does it feel this morning?

TnToast

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 01:48:53 PM »

Thanks, both.. :) So good to have some moral support and advice.

Felt less sore this morning but a bit sore again after going for a walk. Discharge has slowed thank goodness - so persevering! Was ready to quit straight away when that started.

Also felt a bit jittery but this could well be me being a bit worried about it all...

Is it essential to do a two week load with Vagifem or can you reduce to alternate days if your symptoms improve?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »

Nope.  The idea is to layer the vaginal walls which have become thin and sore due to a lack of oestrogen.  It is absorbed and plumps up the tissues ......... some need 'vagifem' nightly.  Others manage with every 4th and 6/7th night applications.  If you have the 'need to pee' feelings take 'nurofen' or similar to ease the bladder sensations.

TnToast

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 03:40:40 PM »

Thanks CKLD...will stick to instructions then  :) Fortunately no bladder symptoms just red raw, sore skin.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »

Keep applying something gentle ;-)

TnToast

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »

*UPDATE*

Hi

In case it helps anyone else....

After seeing my GP she told me I had a lot of atrophy and needed to get some oestrogen into the skin to settle it down. She prescribed Ovestin for the VA and Timodene for inflammation around the urethra (which you keep in the fridge so it is very soothing to apply).

The Timodene was very effective but I was sceptical about the Ovestin having used Gynest estriol cream in the past which irritated my skin and made things much worse. However the Ovestin made things feel a lot more comfortable almost straight away. It did burn internally for the first couple of nights but it was bearable because it soothed the outside so much. I found it was much better to apply it with a finger internally - which I think I read on here somewhere - as well as externally, as it could be massaged in and so less leaked out (previously I'd used the applicator which you get with these creams). So it seems it is always worth trying a different product or even applying it differently...

After three weeks I am a lot more comfortable and can go for a walk without pain and my skin down there no longer bleeds. I still have a way to go to properly get on top things, but I feel so much better and hopeful.

I have to use the Ovestin for 3 more weeks (already done 3) and then drop to 2x per week and see where I am at.

Pages: [1] 2