Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough, it's driving me bonkers!  (Read 4447 times)

loonarider

Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough, it's driving me bonkers!
« on: October 08, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »

Hi all,

This counghing is something else. Anyone else got a continuous cough that has been going on for more than a month?. I'm waiting ona  chest x-ray, though my last check up doctor said my lungs were clear - and from my last x-ray (end of last year) - No problems and everything fine.

It's really annoying, and its a dry cough so not productive, a  little bit fluttery and tickley. It's not chesty, mostly in the throat. Sometimes when I inhale, it's like a cold draft passing through my windpipe and it's uncomfortable.

SOme days, its not as bad, but for the most part it's there and annoying - is this a peri symptom? It even keeps me up at night somtimes.  >:(

Sparrow

Re: Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough, it's driving me bonkers!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 12:06:47 PM »

I get this most Autumns, after we have turned the heating on. 

I'm sure it's connected to the drying out of the sinuses.  I often get clear  mucus with it but as I tend to suffer with Non Allergic Retinitis, that's probably an extra problem. 

Do you have sinus problems?

loonarider

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:30:40 PM »

I get this most Autumns, after we have turned the heating on. 

I'm sure it's connected to the drying out of the sinuses.  I often get clear  mucus with it but as I tend to suffer with Non Allergic Retinitis, that's probably an extra problem. 

Do you have sinus problems?

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes, glad you asked about the sinus issues. I've also noticed over the past 3 months drying up of my sinuses. My nose is congested all day everyday. In fact, two nights ago I eas dreaming and felt like I was suffocating which led me to jolt up, and lo and behold I may as well have been, both nostrils completely blocked. It's freaking me out.

I am addicte to sudafed nasal spray which works to clear my nose almost instantly, it's miraculous, however as soon as I stop taking it the congestion comes back. Not to mention, I've noticed a super dry mouth, along with the dry nose and slight burning on my tongue and lips.

I was thinking I had covid, but I'm sure if it was serious I'd be bed ridden, and it has gone on for longer than a month now.

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:06:49 PM »

The nasal spray could be the culprit.  They should not be use long term but just for temporary relief.

I  would stop using it, even if it makes your symptoms worse in the short term. 

Uptick

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 01:25:02 PM »

Hi again loonarider, the persistent dry cough is just another joy caused by silent reflux. There's nothing wrong with your airways. I agree with Shadyglade that this sort of nasal spray is not helpful for long term use. A low dose corticosteroid spray is more suitable if you have allergic rhinosinusitis.

loonarider

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 02:10:38 PM »

The nasal spray could be the culprit.  They should not be use long term but just for temporary relief.

I  would stop using it, even if it makes your symptoms worse in the short term.

Thanks, yes I'm really trying to wean off it, by taking one squirt a day as opposed to three squirts! And then hopefully no more. Maybe it could be aggravating my throat too, causing the cough? WHo know's but I guess proecss of elimnation is the way forward, so stopping the nasal spray soon as.

loonarider

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »

Hi again loonarider, the persistent dry cough is just another joy caused by silent reflux. There's nothing wrong with your airways. I agree with Shadyglade that this sort of nasal spray is not helpful for long term use. A low dose corticosteroid spray is more suitable if you have allergic rhinosinusitis.

Thanks uptick, wll be mentioning this to my doc tomorro when I see him

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 02:14:48 PM »

It sound like an allergy of sorts, I get the same thing in the throat that I cough till I retch, its awful. Mine seems to be linked to some sort of post nasal type drip which is aggravated by pollen and not only in Spring but Autumn as well. :'(

loonarider

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »

It sound like an allergy of sorts, I get the same thing in the throat that I cough till I retch, its awful. Mine seems to be linked to some sort of post nasal type drip which is aggravated by pollen and not only in Spring but Autumn as well. :'(

Big big hugs, it's a real challenge isn't it?. SOmetimes end up just crying in a heap on the floor in my room away from every one . What a life to live, and I wouldn't wish all these nonsense symptoms on my worse enemy.  Thankfully these forums are keeping me from going over the edge. :'(

Uptick

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 04:09:58 PM »

Dry coughing is more common in silent reflux. Post nasal drip is usually associated with mucus and throat clearing. Either way, a low dose corticosteroid nasal spray is the short term treatment for both conditions, until the root of the problem can be diagnosed, silent reflux, rhinosinusitis or both.

loonarider

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 04:45:26 PM »

Dry coughing is more common in silent reflux. Post nasal drip is usually associated with mucus and throat clearing. Either way, a low dose corticosteroid nasal spray is the short term treatment for both conditions, until the root of the problem can be diagnosed, silent reflux, rhinosinusitis or both.

Noted. Thank you again :)

Uptick

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »

You're welcome. I've been prescribed corticosteroid nasal spray, sea water nasal spray and Pantoprazole. Haven't started them yet, just waiting for another drug to leave my system. Hate all these drugs,but have to take them if needs be.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »

I have reflux.  Irritating 'clearing throat' cough symptoms  :-\ fortunately not in the night.

loonarider

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 10:37:55 PM »

I have reflux.  Irritating 'clearing throat' cough symptoms  :-\ fortunately not in the night.

It's horrible, hopefuuly it'll bugger off soon :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 07:27:38 AM »

My GP gave me medication to ease symptoms.
Pages: [1] 2 3