Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sudden weight gain since starting Oestrogel and Utrogestan  (Read 14189 times)

Becr

Sudden weight gain since starting Oestrogel and Utrogestan
« on: September 26, 2020, 04:45:38 PM »

Hi All, I have been 4 weeks on Oestrogel (1 pump) and 100mg Utrogestan continuously. This seems to really suit me having previously been really up and down emotionally on Femoston Sequential and Novofem. I am sleeping and my mood is more stable. However.....I am gaining weight each week and it is starting to freak me out. I am only short so the weight gain means clothing is tight. Is this normal? Will it settle down? I want to give it the 3 months but am worried I will get larger and larger. I will certainly start to watch what I eat but the gain seems to have come on suddenly.

When I was on the Femoston my periods would come earlier and earlier in the progesterone phase, by day 7 on the progesterone bit I was having a bleed. So far I have had no bleed for 6 weeks on the continuous regime as I started it at the end of the femoston oestrogen pills.

Any advice or even sympathy :) would be appreciated.

Harmony

Re: Sudden weight gain since starting Oestrogel and Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »

I'm sorry that you're having this problem, especially as it otherwise seems to suit you. I used this combo, though I was using 2 pumps of Oestrogel. In the 10 weeks I  used it, I gained about 10 pounds, and my diet and exercise were the same as usual. I was horrified at how quickly I put weight on. I didn't have any beneficial effects either, so stopping it was a no brainer for me. Putting on weight at that rate wasn't acceptable, so even if it had helped I wouldn't have continued with it. I'm not very tall either, so even an extra half a stone shows.  Sorry that I can't offer any constructive help.

I find it so annoying that some people refuse to accept that medications can cause weight gain, like someone did who replied to my comment about this (regarding another drug) on Facebook. They insisted that medications don't do this!! Just because something hasn't affected you, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. 😬 You can't just dismiss other people's experiences out of hand. I find closed minded, rigid people like this very frustrating and annoying. Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent!

Becr

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »

Thanks for the response Harmony! Really appreciate it. It's been very fast weight gain so I know as you said that is definitely related to the hormones. I'm really nervous of gaining anymore though thankfully my appetite seems to have lessened a bit so I can cut back calories. I am hoping that it might level out. With Femoston and Novofem sequential, I felt awful on the prog phase. Some months I would stop taking the prog after 10 days as I couldn't hold out till day 14. With this conti regime I do feel better but if the weight gain continues then I won't fit into any of my clothes. It's like my shape has changed back to my twenties. I have saddlebags again and my waist looks smaller because my hips have gained the rounded look again. AARRGGHH.

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 02:45:10 PM »

I think I read somewhere that HRT shifts weight from tummy back to hips in other words from apple shape back to pear shape! I know this may not be of much consolation but weight on hips is healthier than weight on tummy. I think weight around middle is worse for heart problems. Maybe someone who knows a bit more could clarify?

Grheliz1

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:35:26 AM »

I found oral Utrogestan made me retain fluid. When i switched to vaginal, every other night, the weight came off.

Jac Key

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »

Yes, I have put on weight on Oestrogel and Utrogestan. On hips, bum and belly. Am looking into other types of HRT to try.