Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: BUMPING THIS PLS, norethisterone prescribed? Advice please.  (Read 835 times)

pricey

BUMPING THIS PLS, norethisterone prescribed? Advice please.
« on: September 23, 2020, 07:13:16 AM »

Hello ladies,

Back story: I reduced and eventually stopped Oestrogel and Utrogestan over 4 months.  I have been on HRT 5 years and apart from Elleste Duet (which caused constant headaches) nothing has really stopped my own cycle. At 55 I'd had enough of 2 bleeds most months and thought it might be useful to trial coming off HRT,  even if just to see where I am and reset.  I've coped ok with flushes etc, the only problem being, since early July I have had what seems like two very heavy periods with clotting, interspersed with spotting.  Having reduced my dose and eventually stopped HRT completely a month ago I have figured this to be expected. 3 weeks ago I bled heavily at work and found it hard to manage. I was passing large clots too. I did stop bleeding for about 5 days afterwards, then had light spotting, followed by a hormonal headache and tearfulness and what has seemed like another proper period. Yesterday this suddenly ramped up at work, became impossible to manage and I had to leave work. I took two ibuprofen which reduced the flow within about three hours.
In the meantime I had called the Dr for advice. Spoke to a duty doctor who felt coming off HRT was probably to blame. She was naturally concerned about my iron which has been an issue before. She has prescribed tranexamic acid and if that doesn't work norethisterone and has arranged for my own doctor to call me with a plan next week. Now my concerns are, the ibuprofen (I took a second dose late last night) has been really effective. If I had thought to take some yesterday I may have not flooded like I did at work. I told the doctor I seem to respond well to ibuprofen.  She didn't comment. My concern is I don't want to take tranexamic acid if the flow has settled on ibuprofen (although I will if it starts up again). As for norethisterone, while I know it may stop the bleeding and spotting, possibly allowing me to reset after this upheaval,  I didn't do well on it at a lower dose as part of the Elleste. I'm also thinking after the course ends I will get a withdrawal bleed and from what I've read this can be heavy and painful. I'm assuming my GP will suggest I have a scan etc when I speak to her next week,  so I'm wondering if I should hold off taking either of these (unless I have to) until after that conversation. I'm scared of feeling awful at work too. At least the bleeding is a known quantity. But might a course of norethisterone stop all this post HRT faffing? I'm so confused!

Any advice would be welcomed! X
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:14:46 AM by pricey »

pricey

Re: BUMPING THIS PLEASE, norethisterone prescribed? Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:13:49 AM »

I have started the tablets. Feeling headachey and sluggish. My main worry is the level of progestogen since I was unable to take the combined contraceptive pill from 35 due to family history. I'm surmising a course of 10 days won't put me at undue risk.

I'm still bleeding although much lighter.

X

Taz2

Re: BUMPING THIS PLS, norethisterone prescribed? Advice please.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:44:37 AM »

Hi pricey. I think you should follow advice until you get to speak to your doctor next week. There are often reasons we don't know about as to why treatment is prescribed. If you follow the advice you can then tell your doctor how effective (or not) it's been and a plan can then be drawn up. I'm glad the bleeding is easing.

Taz x  :hug:

pricey

Re: BUMPING THIS PLS, norethisterone prescribed? Advice please.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 08:56:56 AM »

Thank you,  Taz. I'm a serial over thinker.  ;D x