Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: When to move to continuous regime  (Read 768 times)

Tindia

When to move to continuous regime
« on: September 21, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »

Hello, I’m looking for some advice -  I’ve been on sequential hrt (estrogel and utrogestan) for 4 years. Am 53, recently started using 2 pumps of estrogel - I have extreme insomnia, feel hot but not flushing, more anxious and it’s not helped.
I asked the  hrt nurse whether I should move to a continuous regime and She was so vague I’m still confused.
Is anyone able to help me get a bit clearer? How can you tell where you are if your only having ‘forced’ periods, and sometimes none at all on the sequential regime? At what point did you change, and how might I know when this is worth trying in terms of getting relief from those main symptoms?
Thank you all x

Dotty

Re: When to move to continuous regime
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »

Hi I think the advice is that you can try a continuous regime after being on hrt for a year or at the age of 54.
You say you’ve been on sequential hrt for 4 years....which hrt were you on ? X

Tindia

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »

Hi, I’m on utrogestan and estrogel.
My question is really, not so much if I can, but why I would/should and what benefit it may have in my current symptoms?
Thank you

Jane50

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »

Hi Tindia,

How long have you been on 2 pumps? Were you on one pump before? You could try increasing your oestrogel to 3 or 4 pumps? Maybe your oestrogen levels are dropping?

Insomnia and anxiety are horrible aren't they.

I think the suggested benefit of continuous HRT v sequencial is that theoretically you shouldn't have a bleed on continuous. However I've read lots of ladies on here have continued bleeding but in an unpredictable way which would be a real pain! So even after age 54 some women choose to continue on sequencial purely so they have a predictable bleed.

I think that which ever route you take its still about symptom control and if you're struggling with low oestrogen symptoms it might be worth trying to tackle that first?

Hope that helps

X

Tindia

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:49:30 PM »

Thank you Jane, insomnia is off the scale at the moment and it’s impacting my job, mood, health. I don’t get a bleed on sequential so reluctant to mess with that, I’ll up my estrogel and see if that helps, I read that progesterone has a sedative effect and was wondering if increasing the amount in my body would help.
I appreciate your reply and suggestion