Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Femoston to Coil help  (Read 835 times)

Maxmitch

• First Flush
Femoston to Coil help
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:48:13 PM »

Hi, new poster here although have read posts for a few years now.
I'm 52 and have been on oral HRT for the last 3 years. Currently on Femoston 2/10 but considering changing to mirena coil and estorgel. Appointment booked for 25th.
My question is will the mirena give me the same amount of progesterone as the femoston? I happily have only had 2 bleeds this year the last in May and would like to keep it that way. I don't want the change to rock the boat. The only reason for changing is that I never have a full night sleep (I'm useless without my 8 hours) and my libdo has disappeared completely. I have Ceoliac disease and there is a question mark over absorption of oral medication.
 Am seriously considering just putting up with the lack of sleep and libido just to keep the periods at bay. Any thoughts would be gladly received as don't have anyone else to ask.
Thanks  :)

Brit66

Re: Femoston to Coil help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:06:53 PM »

Hi, new poster here although have read posts for a few years now.
I'm 52 and have been on oral HRT for the last 3 years. Currently on Femoston 2/10 but considering changing to mirena coil and estorgel. Appointment booked for 25th.
My question is will the mirena give me the same amount of progesterone as the femoston? I happily have only had 2 bleeds this year the last in May and would like to keep it that way. I don't want the change to rock the boat. The only reason for changing is that I never have a full night sleep (I'm useless without my 8 hours) and my libdo has disappeared completely. I have Ceoliac disease and there is a question mark over absorption of oral medication.
 Am seriously considering just putting up with the lack of sleep and libido just to keep the periods at bay. Any thoughts would be gladly received as don't have anyone else to ask.
Thanks  :)

I had the Mirena for hrt fitted 2 weeks ago and I was told that my periods would become very slight and that for many women, they stop completely. The reason I opted for it was that I was bleeding nonstop for 3 months and my lining was getting thickened,  so the consultant recommended the coil.
The amount of progesterone you get from the coil is small and it stays within your womb, not travelling around the body, so the unpleasant side effects lots of women get with progesterone, aren't an issue with the coil, unless you're very unlucky.
Hope this helps-good luck on the 25th, I'm sure it will go great!  ;)

scrubdub

Re: Femoston to Coil help
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 07:04:30 AM »

I've had my coil and patches/ gel for 15 months. My periods are so much lighter now.
I still have anxiety issues but I'm trying to live with that and my sleep a bit hit and miss. I'd love a full uninterrupted 8 hours with no freaky dreams!
I'm glad I had the coil but I'm still trying to find the sweet spot for the oestrogen! My Gynae wants to replace it in 5 years- just hope she hadn't retired by then. I've kept all the paperwork and correspondence of her to my Gp as well.