Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hot flushes restarting after menopause  (Read 3187 times)

jansheff

Hot flushes restarting after menopause
« on: September 03, 2020, 08:54:39 AM »

Hi - I posted once on here about three years ago, but since I went through the menopause with very few problems (sorry to those who’ve suffered) I haven’t really checked in since.

It’s now about four years since my last period and I’m 56. As I said, very few problems, a few fairly minor hot flushes one tiny “show” which the doctor cleared and I’d pretty much forgotten the whole thing.

But in about the last month I’ve noticed my face flushing, usually when it’s warm, but sometimes for no apparent reason. Just my face, cheeks, across the nose and a bit on the chin. My cheeks go red, hot, tight/dry feeling and sore. The pores look enlarged and it looks a bit puffy. I seem to get a funny feeling in my head at the same time, sort of pressure and a bit of a headache. Yesterday afternoon’s bout hasn’t really gone away, it’s left my cheeks a bit red, but feeling warm, tight, dry and sore.

When I sleep the side on the pillow also tends to go red, so I get up with a rather blotchy red face.

I do suffer from anxiety, and am taking medication for acid reflux (started tablets after flushing started).  It’s not easy to see the doctor at the moment; their website is covered in red font telling you to stay away unless it’s unavoidable. I have had three telephone appointments about the reflux and am awaiting a referral appointment - again initially by phone at the end of the month. I don’t feel I can bother the doctor with something else, they are probably already fed up of my hypochondria.

Of course I’ve googled and come up with all sorts from carcinoid syndrome (hopefully not as it’s very rare - about 120 in the U.K. in a year), to thyroid problems or rosacea. I’ve also taken an antihistamine this morning in case it’s an allergy.

What I wanted to ask - as menopause keeps coming up in searches - is it possible I could go through the menopause, have minimal symptoms, then suddenly start hot flushes (just of the face) with a vengeance 4 years later? Or should I rule that one out?

Edited to add - no HRT or any other meds except the reflux tablet, supplemented by the occasional Gaviscon, the first of which I started after the flushing.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:56:49 AM by jansheff »

Dotty

Re: Hot flushes restarting after menopause
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 10:23:40 AM »

Hi my menopause symptoms got much worse three years after my last period when I was 53. So , yes, they can suddenly get worse post menopause. You may have had some oestrogen left which has suddenly dropped. X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 10:30:28 AM »

Hi jansheff. Yes I believe that flushes can return as your oestrogen levels continue to drop.

The flushing does sound like the early stages of Rosacea (which I have unfortunately) and can also include your skin being really dry. It's a strange dryness - there doesn't seem to be any moisturiser which can sort it. That's how mine started anyway! Do you find it is worse after a particular activity or food?

I'm sure that you are not seen as a hypochondriac by the surgery but I know exactly how that feels but it is important to have acid reflux checked out. I'm on omeprazole too and first of all blamed the rosacea on that but the dermatologist hasn't found any link between the two. Is the omeprazole making any difference to the reflux?

Taz x

jansheff

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »

Thank you. I’m not on omeprazole - I’m on famotidine, which does seem to be helping.

The flush which started yesterday afternoon is still burning and red nearly 24 hours later.....  it doesn’t seem worse after exercise or food, but I think heat brings it on.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 12:35:30 PM »

The ovaries can continue having a party for ages  >:(

Flushing is usually all over ? so it may be a localised dryness of the skin or as Taz suggests, Rosacea . 

I take Omeprazole and haven't had flushing of any type. 

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 12:47:48 PM »

Thank you. I’m not on omeprazole - I’m on famotidine, which does seem to be helping.

The flush which started yesterday afternoon is still burning and red nearly 24 hours later.....  it doesn’t seem worse after exercise or food, but I think heat brings it on.

This sounds like Rosacea. Another cause of flushing like this across the cheeks and nose is Lupus though you would also have other symptoms I think.

I had the most horrendous hot flushes/sweats but didn't ever go red.

Taz x

jansheff

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Thank you. Rosacea isn’t good, but it’s definitely preferable to some of the scary stuff that Dr Google suggested. I’ll try and calm down a bit.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »

Give Dr Google  :kick:  ::) ..... he don't know much  ;)

jansheff

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »

;D ;D

charliegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »

Can anyone tell me if hormones levels are still fluctuating in late 60s as I have ovaries but no womb. Taz, I think I have mentioned this before.

KarineT

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »

Hi everyone,

I would have thought that once in menopause the hormones will be low but stable and therefore I can't imagine that after 4 years without periods hormones can continue to cause trouble.  I hope I won't be in this position in post meno.
jansheff,  what"s causing your anxiety?
Dotty, you're saying your symptoms got much worse in post meno. If you don't mind me asking, what were they?  Do you still have them?

I very much doubt that any oestrogen produced comes from the ovaries in post menopause. This is because they shit down after a while.

charliegirl,  I know a lady who had nothing during, peri and meno then it all happened in post meno.  So you can get symptoms if you didn't get anything at the beginning.  Menopause is treacherous and symptoms can catch you unaware unfortunately.

Thanks

Karine

Dotty

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »

KarineT....I had loads of symptoms. I’ll try and list the main ones. I suffered badly in peri, but nobody knew what was wrong with me. I struggled on for a few years and then 3 years after my last period my symptoms got much worse and I was very ill.

My symptoms....hot flushes, cold flushes, night sweats, heart palpitations, nausea, total exhaustion, depression, muscle aches, crying spells, body weakness, internal shaking, no appetite, couldn’t eat, insomnia , anxiety......these were the main ones.

Once I was on the right type and dose of hrt, all of the horrific symptoms went. X

KarineT

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »

KarineT....I had loads of symptoms. I’ll try and list the main ones. I suffered badly in peri, but nobody knew what was wrong with me. I struggled on for a few years and then 3 years after my last period my symptoms got much worse and I was very ill.

My symptoms....hot flushes, cold flushes, night sweats, heart palpitations, nausea, total exhaustion, depression, muscle aches, crying spells, body weakness, internal shaking, no appetite, couldn’t eat, insomnia , anxiety......these were the main ones.

Once I was on the right type and dose of hrt, all of the horrific symptoms went. X

That sounds horrible.  Are you still on HRT now or have you stopped?

KarineT

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 06:46:38 PM »

Dotty,  it looks like you've been very unfortunate with this.

Dotty

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »

KarineT... I’m still on hrt. Been on it for 2.5 yrs now and I don’t intend stopping. 😄
Pages: [1] 2