Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Depression since Mirena  (Read 1442 times)

Shelster

Depression since Mirena
« on: August 30, 2020, 06:16:53 PM »

Hi gang, I’m after some help from you fab ladies. I’ve had my Mirena in for three weeks and started on Estrogel a couple of days later. After 48 hours I felt anxiety and depression like never before. I mean next level. I stayed on the Estrogel for five days and after the worst panic attack ever, thought I’d control the only thing I could and stopped applying it. The anxiety improved a lot but I’m so depressed. It’s like a constant cloud. I’ve started on the Estrogel again today and felt anxious again. Psychological perhaps. I don’t want to keep stopping and starting obviously but I’m just thinking of throwing the towel in altogether, having the Mirena removed and giving up on the Estrogel. I have a four year old and all she sees is mummy sad at the moment. Any words of advice would be so welcome xx,

Tinkerbell

Re: Depression since Mirena
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »

How many pumps of Estrogel are you using?

Shelster

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »

Just one, Tinkerbell. Doc said not to increase until six weeks in x

scrubdub

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 08:28:25 PM »

I admit when I had mine fitted ,I felt very overwhelmed! They put me straight on everol 50 and I just felt I couldn't cope with a huge whack of hormones. I'd been using everol sequi for 2 months prior to this
My gp decided to start me on Everol 25 for a month then move up to E50. He spoke with my Gynae who was happy with that.
I know it's hard but stick with it. It does take time to settle and hopefully you can increase your gel and start to feel better.
Now I'm on estrogen patches and gel so I can give myself an extra dose  normally in  the run up to my period-Im on everol 50. I tried everol 75 and I got that overwhelming feeling again. Its just finding that happy medium.
Wishing you well
S x

Shelster

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 08:58:09 PM »

Thank you Scrubdub, that’s good to know xx

Perinowpost

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 09:10:50 PM »

Shelster it’s very common with the mirena I’m afraid. Put mirena into the search box and read of others experiences.

If you can tolerate it long term it should settle, but it depends how long you can tolerate it for.  I had mine removed after 6 months as it didn’t get any better.  From memory the worst side effects were 2 weeks after having it fitted.

Wishing you well x
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:17:54 AM by Perinowpost »

Shelster

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »

Thanks perinowpost, I’ll have a look x