Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help.......dreadful insomnia  (Read 2018 times)

Diane Gahan

• First Flush
Help.......dreadful insomnia
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:15:58 AM »

Why?  I have, like many, suffered with insomnia for peri and now post menopause. I am on Estradot 50 and utrogestan. I have been ok for a while, but insomnia has returned with a vengeance.  Cannot drop off until 4 am. Any help appreciated.  Still trying to work.  :'(

Jane50

Re: Help.......dreadful insomnia
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »

You have my sympathies. Insomnia is awful. I am in the same situation re insomnia but I'm still in peri. I'm on 4 pumps oestrogen and 200 mg utrogestan. The insomnia and other symptoms are also back for me too. The doc has prescribed me phenergan which is an antihistamine which really helps. Maybe worth a try? Although I'm waking drenched in sweat now every night. They can put man on the moon but menopause remains an elusive concept...

Diane Gahan

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:46:05 AM »

Might ask GP to try higher dose meds.  Thanks for the anti h tip.

C.naughton

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »

Hi, I’m new to the HRT medication (only week 3). Awful insomnia!!! I have tried everything herbal, hot baths, sleeping tablets from the doctor, nothing seems to be working. No sleep at all last night until around 4am.
Any help please, really thinking about not continuing x

C.C.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »

I'm sorry about your struggles with sleeping, I think we all have been there to some degree.  When my insomnia was bad I tried melatonin, all different doses, valerian (it made me feel dozy the next day) warm baths, nothing helped consistently.  Then I started drinking Chamomile tea about an hour and a half before bed, any earlier and I would have to get up to pee at some point lol.  It helped me feel sleepy and then I added sleep hypnotherapy. I listen to a podcast on Spotify (also on Google podcast) called Sleep Cove. It's a combination of bedtime story and hypnotherapy excercise and it seems to help. The narrator has a very soothing and calming tone which I like.  I plug in my earbuds and listen to it on my phone. I will wake up in the morning sometimes with my earbuds still in my ears lol.

C.naughton

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:00:18 PM »

Thank you, I’ve tried all of that. I listen to meditation on the calm app, melatonin doesn’t seem to do anything. Herbal tea is hit and miss. I suppose I just want to know does this get better as my body becomes used to the medication. X

AG

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 07:20:47 PM »

Insomnia is awful (I have been having similar issues every few months) and even more so when trying to work as well. I just tried magnesium again, a small amount (with some B vitamins) after waking at night or before sleep seems to work for me right now. Wishing you all the best, AG

C.C.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 07:24:36 PM »

I should mention I'm not taking HRT so I am unable to relate to that, specifically. I'm sure you will get some great advice from others who can relate to taking HRT and insomnia.

Hope you find relief soon!

Diane Gahan

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 07:20:40 AM »

Thank you all.  I know it sounds odd, but it is comforting to know I am not the only one struggling xx

dollygrip

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »

I have found that insomnia comes and goes.  I get to sleep and then wake in a panic, with stomach churning and mind racing - I have used SleepCove too, but find the Snoozecast podcast much better - soothing voices telling stories.  I download them and then set each one to start past the introduction so the stories carry on from each other without a break.  Sometimes I find I have listened to 6 without being aware of them!  Personally I find the men's voices more soothing than the women's but I guess that's just personal preference (perhaps I find it easier to doze off to a man's voice - no comments please!)

C.C.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 07:01:22 PM »

I agree with you! I have also listened to Headspace but I didn't find it that effective and I always chose the male voice...go figure.  I will check out Snoozecast and give it a listen  :)

Baby

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »

I take the antihistamine that Jane50 takes also. I went on these after a course of sleeping tablets. Not perfect but they do help. X

Harmony

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 01:05:32 PM »

I had really bad insomnia for years, one of the many symptoms of ME/CFS. I hate taking drugs if at all possible, but in desperation tried low dose amitriptyline -  10-25mg is the usual dose for insomnia, and it made a big difference. I've had no side effects, and while I don't think it's quite as effective as it first was, it definitely gives me an extra couple of hours sleep. I tried all the otc stuff - Nytol, Phenerghan, herbal tablets, and none of them did anything  It might be worth considering if all else fails. Gp's are usually happy to prescribe it long term I think, unlike zopicline etc, though it was first prescribed for me by a consultant.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »

Cortisol: that Bl****Y waking hormone  >:( .......

I was in a busy stressful job and for 8 years didn't sleep well.  Once I left I took a while to get into a routine and if my brain needs to sleep, then I sleep.  Sometimes on a clothes line  ::) other nights I either don't drop off; wake after an hour and am then tossing for hours.  Then there are nights that I go as far as 5.00-ish ............

I have used anti-histamine in the past or 'kwells' ;-)

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »

Hi Diane,

If you Google 'Plum Village', and find their website, there is a link to an amazing app.  It has lots of mindfulness meditations and also sounds, such as rainfall.  Hopefully these may help your insomnia.

When you find the website, click on the main menu, and you will find the link to the app a little way down.