Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Just about to begin HRT - question about periods.  (Read 596 times)

Hannahpolly

• First Flush
Just about to begin HRT - question about periods.
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »

Hi there. I’m new to the forum, seems  like an amazing place!!  I have just picked up my first  HRT prescription- sandrena and utrogestan. I’m 47 with lots of peri menopause symptoms and I’ve been thinking about HRT for a year or so. My symptoms are sometimes ok, sometimes awful but time to take the leap into HRT.
My periods are  reasonably regular, currently getting a bit heavier and shorter.  I’m wondering what will happen to them when I start taking HRT? Do I still bleed at roughly the same time as I was b4 taking HRT? I’m reading about “breakthrough bleeding” and getting confused?  Any advice hugely appreciated x x

Hurdity

Re: Just about to begin HRT - question about periods.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 05:18:08 PM »

Hi HannahPolly

:welcomemm:

Your post got missed. I haven't been on the forum for a while but I don't think it's been answered elsewhere?

What happens when you take HRT may depend to some extent on your cycle length. You said your periods are resonably regular - but do you go longer than 28 days sometimes - I mean how much do they vary in terms of cycle length rather than period flow and length?

HRT does not suppress the cycle so you will continue to ovulate as usual although with very high doses of oestrogen this sometimes suppresses ovulation. Hopefully you will be approximately in sync with your natural cycle but it may take a few months to settle into a pattern.

What are the symptoms you would like HRT to alleviate?

Good luck and hope it works fo you :)

Hurdity x