Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: I've been told it's Early menopause - how do i know for sure?  (Read 783 times)

Busterh

• First Flush

Hi Everyone
I am new to all of this so i apologise for sounding like i don't know what i'm talking about, because i don't! I am 42 years old and for the past 9 months have been experiencing terrible night sweats ( i have to sleep iwth a fan on otherwise I tend to drip with sweat), I have hot flushes ( they are on and off), insomnia etc. I called the doctors who did blood tests and my FSH came back as 90. She has told me that I am therefore in the menopause and recommened HRT which we are discussing on Wednesday. I am happy to go on HRT but from reading info a lot of stuff says that you can't just tell the menopause from a blood test. ( I have the mirena coil so have no periods). From reading between the lines though because my FSH is so high and I have displayed symptoms it is likely to be the menopause..... does that sound right or should i be asking for any other tests to confirm it?

Thanks so much for your advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I've been told it's Early menopause - how do i know for sure?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 06:58:51 PM »

Hi!   you may be in peri-menopause the time when periods become intermittent along with hot flushes, anxiety, crashing fatigue  ::).  The Change - does what it says on the tin   :-\.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Do read round the forum, make notes ;-).

:welcomemm: My periods waxed and waned for years but I knew what it was.  Blood tests are reliably unreliable  ::) because hormones alter all the while. 

There are different medications for different situations so has your GP suggested anything yet?  Put the name into the search box on the Forum and make notes.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out - skin, scalp, legs, deep in the ears, vagina, eyes ..... and muscles maybe lax = aches and pains.

Menopause is the last monthly bleed.  However, we have to wait at least 2 years to be abosutly sure that's it!

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 08:53:50 PM »

Hi Busterh. It is true that blood tests alone are not reliable in diagnosing peri-menopause and menopause. However when symptoms are taken into account together with a high FSH then it is more likely that this points to peri menopause. The advice to begin HRT seems to be good as this will have a beneficial effect on your heart and bones and should get rid of the horrible sweats. Try the HRT and see how you feel? It takes up to three months for the hrt to settle and for any side effects to lessen/disappear.

You'll find lots of help, support and advice on here and no question is too silly so anything else just ask away.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Shannonplussed

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 10:40:18 PM »

That was my situation as well. I was also diagnosed at age 42 with two high FSH tests spaced weeks apart, and a third one months later. You're ahead of the game if you have a Mirena in place already, so get on some estrogel or a patch to help with the night sweats and hopefully things turn around quickly for you.

I know a lot of people will say blood tests are reliably unreliable, and for average menopausal age women, FSH testing isn't recommended. But to diagnose early menopause, it is what they do.