Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and tummy/gastric issues?  (Read 8962 times)

Perty

• First Flush
HRT and tummy/gastric issues?
« on: August 14, 2020, 04:02:39 PM »

Hi folks, I've posted this elsewhere in the forum too-it's the reason why I joined the forum to see whether anyone else has had the same problems.
For me so far the menopause hasn't been too bad compared with some of you on the forum. I'm 54 (yikes!) and been completely period free for just over 2 years. Menopause wise, nothing of significant until early 2018, since when I've been toughing it out-dealing with phases of hot flushes and night sweats with gaps of "normality" for a few months before the next set kicked in. The frequency of flushes went down but the night sweats become pretty unbearable this spring. Otherwise no other nasty symptoms thank goodness (don't seem to have too much brain fog or any other anxiety or mental health issues).

I finally bit the bullet and asked for HRT during lockdown after the night sweats drove me to distraction. The ability to have a quick online consultation with a GP via an app made it so much easier than the faff of making an appointment for a face to face consultation. Now on about week 8 of Evorel patches. Night sweats are now a thing of the past-hurrah!! (save for the odd slightly warm moment).

I didn't even think I had any side effects from the patches, apart from, possibly, consequences for boob size-bane of my life as a small person with big boobs to start with, plus a lockdown related extra couple of pounds. HOWEVER about 3 weeks ago and again this week for about 4 days, I have had real gastro issues. Belly ache and general disruption of my normal gut function. I'm sure it's not helped by the reduced exercise and general movement as a result of WFH. Online research suggests that HRT does have an known impact with an increased incidence of IBS. I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience and whether it settles down? I'm only at the end of month 2 on patches, and otherwise I'd say all was good. I'm back to normal today, which is a relief as I was beginning to think I would have to seek advice if things stayed as they were. Of course the gut rot could have an entirely unconnected cause, but I can't say I've eaten anything that disagrees with me, and my guts are pretty robust most of the time.

Mogster71

Re: HRT and tummy/gastric issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 07:13:21 PM »

Hi Perty

Its' really good to hear that your night sweats are now a thing of the past :)

I have found that my tummy is affected sometimes, particularly when I'm in the progesterone part of my tablets....I used to get the same thing when I was having periods much younger, in the lead up to period time I might have a bit of a loose or grumbly bowel. These days I just notice more digestive upset, at times more indigestion so upper GI tract too. I do find I have to watch what I eat a bit more, I can't tolerate a glass of wine as easily during my period week either.

Other than that are you feeling good on the Evorel? What are you using for progesterone, as that is often reported to give issues!
Best wishes
Mog

Harmony

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 01:19:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum Perty. 🙂

I'm glad that you're getting relief from the night sweats, you must be so pleased. I'm lucky, I've had mild hot flushes but no sweats, they must be awful. I used oestrogel and Utrogestan for a few months. I found they caused me to have an upset stomach sometimes during the first month or so, but fortunately it settled down. It wasn't a side effect I was expecting! 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:27:22 PM by Harmony »

westie

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »

Hi Perth and welcome.

I am having similar issues having just upped my patch from 50mg to 75mg as I was struggling to get my oestrogen levels right. Have been on this patch for just ten days and my digestive system is really playing up, driving me mad. If it continues I may cut a bit off the patch and see if it makes any difference.

A year in with HRT and am still trying to find the right balance, so frustrating.

Hope you find a solution soon.

W xx

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »

I can definitely relate to this.  Back in the past when I was desperately trying to find an HRT regime that worked, I decided to try a combination of high Oestrogel dose plus Lenzetto and developed diarrhoea.   I didn't make the connection at first and had a FIT (stool) test but it came back clear fortunately.

I read up on it and realised it was probably down to hormones so I reduced back to a normal Oestrogel dose and the bowel problem cleared up but it took a while.

There is definitely a connection between loose bowels and hormones/HRT so don't be too alarmed, it's an issue that comes up on here all the time.   I suspect that a sudden increase of oestrogen could set things off but you may find it settles.   

Westie, in your case it could be than your oestrogen levels are finally increasing so I would give it time. 

Jeepers

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 08:34:35 PM »

Hi all

I have had bowel and other digestive problems since I started taking hrt. I can’t say the two are definitely linked, but I’ve had lots of tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy , ultrasounds, blood tests and a fit test, all came back clear. 

I’ve been taking hrt for a little over two years, and the digestive problems have been occurring for at least 18 months of them!

Sorry you are having problems, but it is reassuring to know it’s not just me

Warm wishes

Jeepers. Xx

Sal1970

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »

I'm kind of relieved to read this!  I've been on evorel sequi for nearly 6 months now - after about 10 weeks / 3 months ish I started having a mildly upset tummy - couldn't decide if it was hormones or WFH / pandemic stress (definitely did not help!) - then I started having migraine-ish issues and have been cutting the patches in half for the last 3 months (on advice of GP).  The migraines seem to have resolved and my gut seems happier generally.  I am however bleeding quite often so probably need to get back onto the GP.

Baby

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:18:31 PM »

I am always full of wind. It's so embarrassing as sometimes it just comes out. I never had this before HRT and meno.

Ali J

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 07:55:06 AM »

Hello. I have just commenced upon Lenzetto aged 67. I had a total hysterectomy, including cervix and ovaries due to endometrial cancer 5 years. Vaginal atrophy and brain fog prompted me to ask GP for HRT and she prescribed Lenzetto 1-2 doses having checked this was appropriate with oncology.  I have been experiencing diarrhoea for the past 4 days having just upped to to 2 doses having applied 1 dose initially for 4 days. I havent applies spray for 4 days but diarrhoea persists. Is this normal?

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 08:32:46 AM »

Hello. I have just commenced upon Lenzetto aged 67. I had a total hysterectomy, including cervix and ovaries due to endometrial cancer 5 years. Vaginal atrophy and brain fog prompted me to ask GP for HRT and she prescribed Lenzetto 1-2 doses having checked this was appropriate with oncology.  I have been experiencing diarrhoea for the past 4 days having just upped to to 2 doses having applied 1 dose initially for 4 days. I havent applies spray for 4 days but diarrhoea persists. Is this normal?

Yes it's normal. Estrogen usually increases bowel motility, whereas progesterone slows it. Every single time my estrogen fluctuates I get looser movements, it is annoying but normal. Your body is just waking up to extra estrogen and there are estrogen receptors in the gut x

Ali J

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 05:51:59 PM »

Thank you for the reasurrance :)

Jules

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 06:42:21 AM »

I'd have though topical estrogen was more effective for VA. Not ever having needed systemic HRT though, I could be wrong

Ali J

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 11:45:52 PM »

This is my thinking now

Jules

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 09:17:08 AM »

This is my thinking now

Just going off the ladies comments on here who are on systemic HRT, they always say VA needs topical estrogen

KaraShannon

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 01:26:02 PM »

I seem to have phases of IBS since the pandemic and not sure if it's because I started evorel sequi a month before the first lockdown, or if it's a long covid thing.  it's certainly worse if I have a chest infection or cold, but I get it without that as well.  I also get migraines as someone else here said, not bad enough to stop me getting on with the day but bad enough that I think my treatment needs a tweak.