Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any anti depressants that have worked along with hrt  (Read 1034 times)

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever

:'( Sadly despite being on 200mg sertraline over 6 months (working up to 200mg) the low mood has not changed apart from 2 weeks when my estradiol levels were around 800 however they kept rising to 2149 felt worse than ever. Had to have a break from hrt then restart levels they have crashed low and just cant get them to balance out so I look in despair to changing the anti depressant anything to lift this gloom.

Any recommendations for anti depressants? back in 2017 i was on sertraline, mitrazapine, ariprozole, venlaflaxine none lifted the depression till the hrt kicked in-stayed well 2 years but then dipped end December 2019 oestradiol was 100 and then started this journey of trying to get the right balance of hormones and in desperation I went down the anti depressant route again.  Would try anything.  I have no idea if its hormones or just depression for the sake of it which I only ever had if someone died but I know you can just get depression for no reason.  Dr dosent know what to say Menopause Clinicwell I have a tel appt in October but they just say give it time on hrt.  Next step a physchiatrist ......!

Such a fearful time just want to be "me " again is that asking too much?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

This sounds hormonal ...........

One never gets depression without a reason.  Clinical depression is due to situations that people are unable to alter.  Organic depression is because the brain isn't getting the correct chemical balance.  I have both  ::), controlled with medication.  Escitalopram.

I also suffer anxiety and without a pill to swallow when it floors me, I would be in great difficulty.

Prior to my periods I would feel low and sob - sure enough next morning I would be bleeding.  Even when a period wasn't due.  Once the bleed began my mood lifted. 

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

Bring me Sunshine

Hi CLKD

Thank you.  Sorry I posted this in new members ive been here since 2017 :-\

Yes I definitely keep a mood diary its not got many good days in it about 3 weeks all in all for the year god forbid.  Food is hit and miss some days eat good some days dont.  I agree its hormonal but the woman at the menopause clinic said a lot of her patients get well on lithium (she is a gp too 3 days a week).  I read about Lithium it sounds scary and im not bipolar or have psychosis I just feel sad and flat and cant see much of a future.  Prior to this I was a happy confident person.  Its hard to find the right balance.  I dont like it  :'(

CLKD

I wonder whether Lithium has been found to help with hormonal depression which is why she is pushing it?  It needs to be given under supervision as 1 has to have regular blood tests as I think it's a 'salt'  :-\.

I've done a quick search .......... in your position I would send an e-mail to Dr Currie asking if Lithium is prescribed during peri-menopause.  Details for payment at the tope of the page in the red line I think  :-\

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:29:30 PM by CLKD »

Baby

Bring me sunshine. I don't think your gp would prescribe lithium although I could be wrong. My dad has bipolar. Diagnosed in his early thirties, and it changed his life for the better. He is 80 now and only on a very low dose but I don't think they like to prescribe it now because of problems it might cause to the body. This really pisses me off because it made my dad into a normal functioning human being but now doctors seem to think I don't want to prescribe it in case it causes problems. To me it's all about quality of life and it is the best med for bipolar.

CLKD

Maybe have a chat with a pharmacist?

Bring me Sunshine

good advice thank you both

CLKD

>wave<. let us know?