Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hrt and veins / circulation  (Read 1765 times)

Jaylow

Hrt and veins / circulation
« on: August 03, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »

I’ve been on hrt a couple of years now. As soon as I started on it I noticed my leg veins were more visible through my skin. Also I have developed many spider veins on my face, not even just around my nose area (where I have had a couple previously) but all over my cheeks, chin, almost all over. My circulation also seems off, I have cold fingers and feet and my finger tips are often white.

Years ago when I took the bcp I had a similar experience although with much less facial veins. I developed a varicose vein which I had treated although it never actually fully went away. In the years after bcp and before hrt my varicose vein and visible veins went away and I forgot about them. So now that they’re back it seems there’s a connection between the hormones and veins / circulation.

During the last few weeks I’ve developed an ache in my leg, similar to the previous pain I had with the varicose vein. This time I cannot see a varicose vein in the areas that I feel pain, just the veins in general being more visible. The pain is getting slowly worse, I feel it in my calf and in 2 places in my thigh. It feels like it’s coming from deeper inside my leg. I’m getting a bit worried. Has anyone else experienced similar? Should I come off hrt?

Taz2

Re: Hrt and veins / circulation
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 11:56:45 PM »

Have you had the pain investigated at all? The main worry about calf pain when on HRT is obviously a blood clot and this needs dealing with promptly. Is there any warmth where the pain is and do you feel ok in yourself I.e. no raised temperature?

Taz x  :hug:

Jaylow

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 01:21:11 AM »

Hi no I haven’t had it investigated. I’m a bit wary of going to the docs at the moment but I think if it gets any worse I’ll just have to. Doesn’t seem to be warmth there. I’m feeling a bit rough today but I think that’s because it’s day 1 of a bleed which always makes me a little unwell. Think I’ll see what tomorrow brings.
I think also I’m worried about what would happen if I went to the docs. What sort of investigating they might do etc. I have a bit of a fear of medical type things but I realise I’ll have to go if things get worse.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:23:59 AM by Jaylow »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:47:26 AM »

Our medical practice uses e-consult which I've found to be really useful in getting a problem assessed. Maybe yours has this too?

My mum had two episodes of blood clot in her legs. Both times the leg was hot and very painful to touch and she had a high temperature too.If you've had the discomfort for a few weeks then maybe it's related to the varicose veins even though you cant see one yet?

Taz x  :-\

Jaylow

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »

Thanks Taz. It feels slightly less painful today, I think it probably is more like a varicose vein but I know I really need to get it checked out.
It’s concerning that hrt is seemingly causing me a problem with blood flow or similar that is causing the vein problems.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »

I've had varicose veins for years and have had some of them treated. New ones appear though as the remaining veins take up the job of the ones that have been treated. I've been on HRT for thirteen years and haven't found that they have changed. Also, varicose veins are not viewed as a serious matter nowadays - the treatments I had are no longer offered on the NHS  :-\

Taz x