Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Update hysteroscopy / biopsy  (Read 1200 times)

shrosphirelass

Update hysteroscopy / biopsy
« on: July 28, 2020, 02:07:28 PM »

So following my inability to have the proceedure without any sedation. I have been offered two options. Firstly, to be referred to a HA which does waking sedation, or secondly a general anaesthetic. I was advised the advantage of a general is that if they find anything they will remove it on the day. I was not given the option of leaving it, and monitoring it as it was felt it was necessary to have the proceedure done as soon as possible.

As the lining is only 5mm this does seem a bit over the top to me, but given that I have had a reoccurence of slight bleeding again I'm less confident about leaving it even though I am pretty sure that it is HRT related and not anything more sinister.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Update hysteroscopy / biopsy
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »

Well Done!  I would opt for a General although I would want to know what they were expecting 'to remove if necessary' might be ;-).

You will of course require to be starved (they will tell you for how long B4 the procedure) as well as someone to drive you . 

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »

So following my inability to have the proceedure without any sedation. I have been offered two options. Firstly, to be referred to a HA which does waking sedation, or secondly a general anaesthetic. I was advised the advantage of a general is that if they find anything they will remove it on the day. I was not given the option of leaving it, and monitoring it as it was felt it was necessary to have the proceedure done as soon as possible.

As the lining is only 5mm this does seem a bit over the top to me, but given that I have had a reoccurence of slight bleeding again I'm less confident about leaving it even though I am pretty sure that it is HRT related and not anything more sinister.
I had general anaesthetic in 2019 for hysteroscopy, the gynaecologist said my cervix was stenosed. He did try to put a "thinner than a straw" implement in to take a biopsy while awake, but couldn't get it in as my cervix would not let him in.
I hear from other women online that hysteroscopies are painful while awake, so heaven only knows how painful mine would have been without ga.
My lining was 5mm, no cancer.

7dwarfs

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »

Glad to hear you’re finally getting somewhere! Hopefully it will all be over and done with soon and you get the all clear x

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:11:02 AM »

I was only offered GA,  no waking sedation. I wasn't convinced of the need because my lining was only 5.5 mm but they insisted it must be done. When it happened,  there was such a 'scanty' amount that they couldn't even get a biopsy. I was also pretty sure that it was HRT related.
Since having it done, I have had several bouts of cystitis and I am wondering whether this has been caused by having the procedure. There was nothing to remove for me. They had already checked for fibroids and polyps at the 1st attempt under local anaesthetic.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »

Thanks all,

Katejo that sounds a bit worrying. My lining is oly 5mm so I really don't know what the fuss is about but I'm really being pressurised. I hope things are settling down for you and sorry about the cystitis.