Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estrogen only ?  (Read 1073 times)

WendyON

• First Flush
Estrogen only ?
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »

Hello, I started HRT last October but took an intolerance to (I think) the progesterone which left me worse than i was before.  I stopped it in February of this year but still feel the effects of low estrogen, can you take vaginal estrogen only even if you still have a womb?
Any advice welcome?

Joaniepat

Re: Estrogen only ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »

Hello, I started HRT last October but took an intolerance to (I think) the progesterone which left me worse than i was before.  I stopped it in February of this year but still feel the effects of low estrogen, can you take vaginal estrogen only even if you still have a womb?
Any advice welcome?
If you are only using local oestrogen products there is no need for endometrial protection. The amount of oestrogen in these is miniscule compared to systemic.
JP x

WendyON

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »

Thanks for your reply, so I guess it only treats localised symptoms and wouldn't do anything for anxiety symptoms ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:08:03 PM »

Hi!   I use 'ovestin' for vaginal atrophy: do read our threads about this and bladder issues .  My anxiety is treated with appropriate medication as is my depression.  Hormone upheaval can cause anxiety and depression, mood swings etc.; mayB ask for appropriate medication from your GP to ease symptoms so that you can make informed decisions.

Is the anxiety continual or happens in a rush?  The waking hormone, cortisol, can be awful in the early morning, it floored me until medication kicked in. 

There are methods of using oestrogen for a long period with a short burst of progesterone to clean the womb.  I expect someone who is on this regime will be along with advice.

Browse round ;-).  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »

There are different types of progesterone. It would be worth trying a different type as you may find you are OK with something diffetent. What we're you on before?

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »

Thanks for your reply, so I guess it only treats localised symptoms and wouldn't do anything for anxiety symptoms ?
That is correct, it is only for VA and would be no good for other symptoms of low oestrogen.
JP x

WendyON

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:03 PM »

There are different types of progesterone. It would be worth trying a different type as you may find you are OK with something diffetent. What we're you on before?

It was Elleste Duet, I was okay at the start thought was great but 3 months in to it I started to develop severe PMT before a bleed like worse than when I was actually having regular periods, never felt the likes of the anxiety and low mood, so came off.   I was given Femosten but to be honest was too scared to restart as couldn't bear feeling like that again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 01:26:24 PM »

I can understand that fear!  Patches can be easier overall.  Progesterone upsets a lot of ladies  :'(