Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Paying for HRT  (Read 2537 times)

woohycn

Paying for HRT
« on: July 27, 2020, 12:41:59 AM »

Hey, so i’m 17 and i was recently diagnosed with premature ovarian insufficiency and i have been on HRT for over a month now. I currently don’t pay for my prescriptions but i won’t be attending school after i’m 18 and i don’t have a job yet so i was wondering if i would be able to get a medical exemption certificate since i was told by my doctor that i need to be using HRT until i reach normal menopause age so i would be needing it long term (25-30 years). Do you think i can get a medical exemption certificate??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Paying for HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 08:01:04 AM »

Morning.  :welcomemm:   Your GP is remiss in not explaining this!  You could ask your local Pharmacist who will know about exemptions. 

There is a support group : Daisy web-site : for girls in your situation.  Do have a look-see and ask there too.

How do you feel about this news, was it unexpected 4 you?  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.

What is your skill base thus far, what job would you like to do?  We walk about everything on this Forum ;-).   If you like you can put your HRT into the search box here and see what pops up.  Make notes ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »

Hi Woohycn. I've checked on the website and I can't see that your condition is listed as entitling you to free prescriptions.  :(

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »

That's awful .............. because it's HRT?

Words should be made to Matt Hancock?  Have a look-see at the Daisy web-site ..........

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 04:28:44 PM »

The list is specific https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

A pre-payment certificate might save you some money though woohycn?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 04:32:21 PM »

There should be ways around this ......... again, women targeted ! ? !

Let us know how you get on woohycen

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »

If you read this article you will see that it covers far more people than just "women" though. Parkinsons, Asthma, HIV, Rheumatoid Arthritis... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40431800

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »

You can apply for a medical exemption certificate if you have one of the following medical conditions:

a permanent fistula (for example, caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance
a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s Disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
I had to copy in order to get my head round who can apply for exemption:

hypoparathyroidism
myasthenia gravis
myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement)
epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy
a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person
cancer and are undergoing treatment for either:
cancer
the effects of cancer
the effects of cancer treatment
These are the only conditions that entitle you to a medical exemption certificate. If you’re not sure about the name of your condition, speak to your doctor.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 05:04:52 PM »

Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland have scrapped prescription charges for everyone in recent years.

In England, many are dispensed free of charge, mostly to the over-60s, the under 16s, pregnant women and those on low incomes.

But 10% are paid for - and mostly by people on modest wages with long-term conditions not included on the current exemption list, according to the coalition group.

I'm all for Means Testing.  Reviewed every 2 years.

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »

So it's probably best to go down the low income route?
JP x

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »

Or the pre-paid route which is about £8 a month. That's what OH pays anyway.

Taz x

woohycn

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 11:44:38 PM »

I don’t want kids anyway so i wasn’t as sad but it is still annoying having the choice being taken away from you. I’ve been fine but having to use and change the patch every week until i’m around 50 is just depressing. And now i’m stressed because i dropped out of school and don’t even have a job yet and i’m almost 18 so i don’t know how i’m going to pay for HRT either. I was told at my last appointment that i would be called back in 4 months to get a dexa scan and more blood tests so i’m going to ask them if i would be able to get a medical exemption certificate or something.

woohycn

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 11:50:09 PM »

It’s so annoying that they only have a short list of medical conditions that are allowed to get a medical exemption certificate. I’m turning 18 soon and will be working a normal job so i would get around £6.55 an hour and i don’t want to be wasting all my money on medication when i’ll also have to pay rent as well. It just makes me want to not take HRT when they do this because i don’t want to be paying for medication until i’m 50 but i need to use it for my bones because i’m not trying to get osteoporosis at 17 lmao.

woohycn

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 11:58:15 PM »

I also don’t understand that 60+ year olds could get HRT for free but someone who has premature ovarian insufficiency at 17 cannot. I feel like i should also be getting it for free since i need it more because i don’t want to get osteoporosis at this age. I probably wouldn’t even take it and deal with the hot flushes if it wasn’t for my fear of getting osteoporosis to be honest. Hopefully the doctor calls me in for an appointment soon so i can ask them what i can do.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »

Morning.  Also a letter to your local MP?  You have your whole Life ahead and shouldn't have to be worrying about how to pay for essential medication. 

Do ring your surgery and ask for an update on the waiting list for the scan.  Getting back into the system is important right now for all of us, as the NHS still appears to be shut to anything not C-19 related.  Don't wait to be called ......... I am expecting a telephone conversation with the Practice Nurse at the Surgery that over-sees the Care Home where Mum stays as they haven't kept me up to date since March.  I had to nudge her by e-mail .............

Brisk exercise and a good diet can stave off osteoporosis. 
Pages: [1] 2